Front end rebuild

Specialdeluxe47

I have rebuilt the front end of my 1947 Plymouth Sedan. But I need to replace the upper and Lower Control arms crown nuts items 17& 60. Thay are such an odd size thatand thread I have not been able to find any. Does anyone know where to buy them?

post-5266-13585371286735_thumb.jpg

Why can't you use your old threaded pin nuts? They don't wear out. The threaded pins and bushings of course do wear out. Normally those nuts are included with a new control arm pin package.

Bob

Thanks for your response. Yes I am able to reuse 3 out of the 4 but I have 1 that is just looks too weak to reuse. I got this front end kit from KANTER and did not receive any new ones. I also did not like this kit because the new lower control bushings did not fit and the Lower and upper pins are not set up for the use of cotter pins. Do you have any suggestions? I will be calling KANTER next week.

A lot of Kanters parts now are Chinese imitation repro stuff- and not the quality of the NOS Mopar or NORS parts. That's why most of it is cheaper than the original stock parts.

Bob

Odds are unless AB hs some older stock laying about..his may well be cheaper take offs..while the waulity is not there as per old USA mde..at least someone is truing to make these parts available..without them fewer cars will be making it back tothe road..more clip jobs will the result

I have seen 2 types of these nuts, the "normal" nut type where its just a 6 sides 3/8th thick nut that would use a spring or shake proof washer under it and the other style of nut which appears to be whats shown in the exploded pic is a castelated nut but with only 3 "castles" to allow some adjustment in inserting a cotter pin..........from what you describe you are looking for this 2nd style of nut. The normal style of nut can be used as long as you install a spring or shakeproof washer also..........regards, andyd

There are two styles of lower pin nuts as Andy stated. The nut on the lower outer pin for a 1946-52 Plymouth should be a six sided 3/8" nut that does not use a cotter pin. I looked at several cars and used six and eight cylinder suspension parts and it appears only eight cylinder cars use the larger 3 castles castellated nut.

The upper pin for a Plymouth should be the same nut as on the lower pin too. Also shown is the drilled larger eight cylinder pin (cotter pin hole) for the castellated nut and a smaller diameter non drilled pin for the six cylinder cars (Plymouth). A star or shake proof washer is used behind the nut as seen in the pin picture.

Yea I know it's probably just confusing the OP!

Bob

Antique Auto Supply

1225 Colorado Ln.

Arlington, Texas 76015 Phone: 817-275-2381

Fax 775-234-9858

Email: antiqueautosupply@yahoo.com

You might check with these folks.......he has several warehouses

fulla stuff of all kinds. Don't know how well stocked he is on old

Mopar, but probably worth a shot.

Link to their website........http://www.antiqueautosupply.com/............

In a day or so I will up load pics to show you what I have But on this 47 - P15 all 4 nuts 2 on each side are 3 eared castle / crown nuts so that there can be a cotter pin used. The pin on all four, 2 upper and 2 lower are a very odd size they are like 23/32 dia. x 11 tpi. I will email that supplier and let you know.

You need to use the castle nuts if there is a cotter pin hole drilled in your pins at the ends.

Bob