OT 'Be CarefuL!" OT

pflaming

"Things happen FAST". Found that out Friday. I was painting the gable facia boards on the house so I too two strong tall ladders and placed a strong plank between. Then I took a second strong ladder as a means of getting up and down, all safety precautions. . .Well, coming down on the 3rd ladder I lost my balance and grabbed for the top of the ladder I was on only I grabbed the top of the 'scaffold' ladder which gave way and I hit a "mercedes" the ground fast and hard. Still can hardly move. Gotta be careful.

I posted this under the guise of "Fore warned is forearmed".

Edited by pflaming

I once rode a extension latter down the side of a two story clapboard house damaged every piece of clapboard, tore to large swaths out of the lawn and annoyed my father to no end. I was however fortune enough not to have been hurt in the process. other than my pride and the time required to do the repairs.

Trips and falls are one of the most common injuries in the workplace and home. so play safe.

Karl

I did my share of some questionable maneuvers in order to reach many areas of the roof overhangs on this place...no falls yet tho. This was the highest corner, at the edge of the fascia there was about a 30' drop to the ground which was a steep hill. Safety improved with experience and a couple close calls over the years.

post-3764-13585371121539_thumb.jpg

post-3764-13585371122133_thumb.jpg

post-3764-13585371122731_thumb.jpg

post-3764-13585371123591_thumb.jpg

Edited by John-T-53

I once kicked a ladder out from under myself whist drilling a hole for a bolt on a deck.....was only 12 feet up and have a LONG spade bit in the drill and landed my head 3 inches from concrete...all while home alone...

I wish you a speedy recovery Paul.

I had an Uncle that fell from a ladder whilst cleaning the gutters of his single-story house mid last year. He ended up in hospital with numerous broken bones and head injuries. Then he got a bout of pneumonia and also suffered a couple of heart issues whilst in hospital and went downhill in a big way. He managed to pull through but will never be the same again. The doc reckons that the incident may have accelerated the effects of his Parkinson's disease as well.

Things tend to break easier as we get older. The whole incident that he suffered has certainly taught me some valuable lessons.

Desotodav

A woman I work with lost her husband to a fall trimming trees. He was in his mid 30's. She came home with their daughter (9) to find him. I thought alot of it as I trimmed trees this year. Ya just never know.