Restorating a P-15 business coupe.

veterantechnic

Mart.....if ever I win the lottery or lotto I will send a plane to collect you, whoever you work with and your tools and deliver you around to all our workshops.......lol...........you guys are true craftsmen..........thanks, andyd

• 1 month later...

Before the sandblasting of the body we couldn't fully weld the constructions because otherwise we wouldn't be able to remove the sand from the cavities. That's why we fixed some details with screws before the blasting.

plymouth-deluxe-055.jpg

Finally we had the oppurtunity to sandblast the body both inside and outside. After disc-brushing the body (for fully removing the sand from the metal) we paint the areas which don't need any work, with dual component paint Standox Wash-Primer, to prevent the metal from starting to rust.

We also made a "grill/barbecue" system to turn the body which way we like for easing the work. 

plymouth-deluxe-058.jpg

plymouth-deluxe-059.jpg

There was no point of blasting the damaged areas which must be replaced anyway.

plymouth-deluxe-060.jpg

Edited by veterantechnic

I am so very impressed with the depth of repair and the detail of the work during the process..this car will be probbly the most solid model on the planet when finished..however...I must state that I would in no manner wish to be on the receiving end of the repair bill...this is the height of the old adage I so love to quote..."pay to play"

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Mart.....if ever I win the lottery or lotto I will send a plane to collect you, whoever you work with and your tools and deliver you around to all our workshops.......lol...........you guys are true craftsmen..........thanks, andyd

I wish I had a tenth of the talent shown. True craftsman indeed.

You came to the forum looking for info and you have given us more than you can ever know. I'm going to look for a hammer to fab some of my own work now. Thank you again and I look forward to seeing more pics of your restoration.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Most cars we have restorated have been European cars from the late 30's. This one is a little trickier:

7772233774_658845dc34_z.jpg

7772232444_5d80d2cd5e_z.jpg

7772231700_dcd7f62aff_z.jpg

7826718370_077cee8ac8_z.jpg

7826717946_3008c0bff1_z.jpg

7826717232_b8ab2e6779_z.jpg

8004366371_4875165e81_z.jpg

That's some really pretty work you are doing. I think I'm more likely to ask you for help than to offer it.

Fantastic sheet metal work! You guys could probably pay for your whole project just by fabricating and selling those parts. There no companies offering them; you should seriously think about it.

I couldn't agree more. I personally have a P-15 that I hope to start rebuilding late this summer that is going to need ALL that.

It's not as rusty as my 42 Dodge business coupe,but it's still pretty scary under that shiny paint.

Hello again!

Maybe someone can tell us or show us the fixings of the seat on this Plymouth? The problem is that the original mounting is totally rusted away/gone and we don't know exactly how the seat mounts to the floor. If someone has some pictures or drawings/measures of it, we would be really appreciated.

Mart

Are you sure the P-15 business coupe even had a back seat? I know Club Coupes,like my P-15 did,but most business coupes had a panel that folded down  and allowed room for long and bulky items to fit from inside the truck all the way to the back of the drivers seat. Traveling businessmen needed the room in the old days to carry their inventory with them,and that's why they were called Business coupes.

Or at least that's the way it is with my 1942 Dodge D-22 Business Coupe. It never had a back seat,just storage area behind the drivers seat.

Edited by knuckleharley

And we still are looking for a bulkhead for our car. If someone has some information about that, it'd be nice.

We also would like to know where we can get the body nuts. These kind of nuts go for example fixing the fenders. It looks like this:

Mart,try Restoration Services and Supply ( http://www.restorationspecialties.com/) in Pennsylvania. They specialize in this sort of thing,as well as reproducing trim clips,bumper bolts,and other stuff that drive you nuts trying to find it.

Thanks guys for nice words. For producing the detailes for P 15 we did`t make stamp forms. We made the details by measures taken from original as it was possible. So, it will be impossible for us to start mass producing of them. Our priority is to restore single vehicles. Production of sheet metal details needs much better equiped factory than our small workshop has. So, we can talk about next car as restoration project.

--
Leevi Naagel
+372 5669 7085
www.veterantehnika.ee