Restorating a P-15 business coupe.

veterantechnic

Hello!

We are restorating a Plymouth Deluxe Business Coupe (P-15). The car has been shipped over the ocean from USA to Europe lately. We started the project this summer. This is how it looked like when we got the project into work:

7670694808_854e3eb9ee_z.jpg

Originally this car had no back seat but someone has put a random seat there instead. Not very quality work:

7670693472_d35d674f04_z.jpg

Now this is where we need your help a little, people. As the bulkhead is totally removed we don't even have an example of it. If someone has a decent bulkhead for sale maybe we can make a trade. If not maybe someone of you is able to make some proper pictures or drawings of the bulkhead of a business coupe. We would be really appreciated:

7670692102_029cfbd538_z.jpg

At first when we looked at the car it didn't seem to be in very bad condition but when we stripped it apart it was seen that the floor was almost gone. The floor was "repaired" with galvanized roofing sheets. There was lots of them on one another. There were also a lot of newspaper named Quad-City Times from the year 1985 inside the "sideboxes" (sorry for my english):

7670690860_f371f63fbb_z.jpg

7670688136_3fb78f6ff3_z.jpg

7670686562_c14f31d686_z.jpg

7772236824_b9f1a6a29f_z.jpg

In fact the floor's condition was so bad that before we could lift the body from the frame and sandblast the car we had to change the "sideboxes" and most of the floor first. The sandblasting would vanish the remains into the air and we wouldn't have any example in front of us later.

PS! If you have any questions or suggestions please let us know.

Regards,

Leevi

Edited by veterantechnic

Leevi...........welcome to the best mopar furum on the net, you are really doing some very nice work on the rockers and floor.....a real credit to you.........regards from sunny Sth Grafton, Australia

• Like 1

We are appreciative of the quality workmanship which you are doing, very impressive. You are a very talented workman, a lot of us here on the forum could use the quality parts you are making for our cars. That car will probably be worth the money spent in a restoration shop over there but you probably could not ever recover your cost to have one in that condition done over here in a professional restoration shop.

There is a market for those metal parts your are making, if you are keeping drawings, or templates of your floor panels, body mounts and rocker repair sections, you might find some willing buyers right here on this forum. Don;t know about what you would charge or how you wold ship them but even as pictures they look of better quality than some of the stuff available here.

The bulkhead takes the form of an X member, the pieces are abou three inches thick, they are backed by a piece of plywood, and then there is a trim panel of presed paper that goes toward the trunk. I have a business coupe and would be able to take measurements for you of the distance from the roof pinch weld to where the bulkhead was located. I can also send you whatever pictures you might need to replace the jumpseat.

Here is one to get you going. I have changed the package shelf by padding it and upholstering it withthe same material as our seat covers, normally the shelf is a piece of leather like embossed paper board.

Welcome.

DSC0015.jpg

• Like 1

Hello again!

Many thanks to all of you! We are appreciated of your feedback. We are always trying to do our best concerning the restoration. The car should be as close to original as possible when fully restorated. Otherwise we couldn't name it "restoration", it would be like "repairing" or something like that. It is very important what lies under the paint. An old car may have a perfect painting, but when it's rotten under the paint, the car is almost worthless in our opinion.

We are located on the island of Saaremaa. It's about 125 miles from the capital, Tallinn. The ferry ride is about 25 minutes.

Regards,

Leevi

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That is by far some of the BEST fabrication work I have seen..........I would suggest you look into making some of the panels and repair pieces, the big problem I have seen is getting something that is CORRECT, if its correct, even with a relatively high price people are prepared to pay for quality, crap is always crap and your stuff is just plain exquisite........just seeing the pics is worth it..........many thanks, andyd

• Like 1

Here is their website through google translate:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=et&tl=en&u=http://veterantehnika.ee/

From there you can click on project car links, including one for this Plymouth. From that page there is a link to another forum that looks like it has some good stuff.

I think he was also wanting detailed pics of the bulkhead between the

seat and the trunk area......anyone have some?

I don't......just being a busybody.:D

Yes this is correct. We are still looking for fine pictures or drawings or maybe someone has this bulkhead for sale to us. It could be cheaper for us to buy a used bulkhead from the US than to make it new without having the exact clue how it should look like.

I'd just like to add one more thing and that is not only is the actual fabrication work beautiful but the pictures are so clear and the finish of the parts with their almost polished finish it makes it easy to see the shape etc of the repair pieces and more importantly how it all fits together.........this has truly been a joy to watch.............many thanks and regards, Andy Douglas