Tranny problem--any ideas?

Dodgeball48

I have a problem with my 3 speed and I thought I would throw it out to the rest of you guys to see if anyone has an idea of what to do. I have a D-24 with a 3 speed (w/o power shifter), that I took apart to go through (a number of years ago now--just got the car finally running this spring), cleaned it and so forth (new gaskets, etc.), and carefully put it back together. Since I never drove the car before I re-did the engine, I am not sure if this problem existed before or not, but I can't seem to get 1st gear in all the way. I know that 1st and rev. are on the same shaft (rev. works fine), as does 2nd and 3rd. I have to hold the shifting lever down with moderate force to get it to just start to move (or stay), in first gear and if I release any pressure at all, it will jump out of gear. Is it possible that I have something in the wrong place...(inside the gearshift housing on the side), or is there something worn? The syncro didn't look that bad..it's just that the shifting lever does not go down all the way (towards my right knee), like it does in 3rd. It feels like there is something stopping the shifting lever from going all the way down into 1st. I didn't see anything in the shop manual concerning troubleshooting for that. Any thoughts? Any adjustments? :)

Ken, sounds like an adjustment. I would try taking the linkage off at the transmission to see if it goes into, and stays in gear. That would eliminate the transmission as a source of the problem. Just the fact that you say the shift lever does not go as far down as you would expect leads me to believe adjustment:)

Hi Shel, thanks for the info. I guess I should have thought of that too. I'll be in touch later, Ken