Source for Sending Unit - best price?

BulldogTom

• 7 months later...

Not up to speed on trucks but I think your 52 is single wire, it is easy to check to make sure though. Since I just bought single wire sender I thought I would update the info since the JC Whitney model is no longer available. While I didn't have to change out the mounting flange the sender I found does work for the conversion. So after searching I found the universal sender at Tanks Inc can be used for this conversion but cost $35 plus shipping.

On a side note I liked this sender the stop tabs  for the float arm let me adjust it enough to match my gauge exactly. Full is full and empty is at at about an inch from the bottom so I have some reserve. The float could be set to anywhere I just liked the idea of a reserve. The unit is advertised as 73 ohms not 78 but bending the tab down got me to where it read correctly. (It was just shy of empty before I adjusted it.) You can see the tabs in the picture and the bolt that holds it together same as the old JC unit. Hope this helps.

It has a ground connection also but it is a single wire unit. Just thought I would mention it as the pic could be misleading.

Al

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=276/category_id=62/home_id=62/mode=prod/prd276.htm

They have the model number of TAN-ORG

post-4-0-58154300-1367667360_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The Roberts unit is a zinc plated version of the original design, and therein lies the problem as the variable resistor is prone to corrosion failure.  I have one in my '49, and it reads E until the tank is over 1/2 full, then jumps up to the correct reading, so at the halfway point in the tank, the gauge needle jumps all over the place.  I've been trying to get an equivalent JC Whitney unit since December, but they appear to have stopped carrying the 78-10 ohm versions they had available a few years ago.  The original Datcon unit JCW carried and the Tanks, Inc. unit look very similar, so maybe they are one in the same. 

The Datcon part number is 100437 for those interested. It is different in the actual sender portion as it lacks the tabs I mentioned before and the best price I found was about $65. Prices change and other may find a better price in their searches so thought it was worth mentioning.

The Roberts units work great, but my experience is that they are not perfect because the design is based on the original design, with the only improvement being the zinc plating on the flange & resistor cover.  The 1st one I purchased for the '48 back in '96 was $65, and it lasted 3 years before the resistor snapped off from the wiring terminal.  I replaced it with another Roberts unit, and it immediately broke in the same area.  When speaking to Roberts about this, they assumed I had used an air ratchet of some sort to install the terminal screw and were balking at replacing it; they later replaced the unit at no charge (and let me keep the old one) after I told them that I used a 1/8" screwdriver with the tank installed in the truck.  That one has lasted 12 years with the only modification being a ground stud installed.  The unit I have in the '49 is also a Roberts unit and is 9 yrs old but malfunctioning.  Since I've got the bad Roberts units sitting in a box (somewhere), I've wanted to try the adjustable float conversion as these units use a different style resistor that is less prone to corrosion.  With the Roberts zinc plated flange and the newer style resistor, I'd be curious how long that combination would last :cool:

Edited by JBNeal

Actually, for all the talk about how great Roberts is, I find them overpriced and inaccurate.  Maybe it is just because I am on the west coast and when I have called, I always seem to get someone who is covering for someone else or the person I need to talk to is out. 

But the sending unit they sent me was for a 12 volt system.  My mechanic was able to get the old one working and I have left it at that.  But I consider Roberts a waste of money.  They have not given me great customer service and I won't go back to them.  Two bad experiences, no good ones.  I won't go back a third time.

Tom

Hollister, CA

I have had a Roberts in mine now for at least 4 years it has worked flawlessly. I don't have a problem with any of his parts. I must say if you are in this hobby & are shopping price,  you need a new hobby.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by billschwindt

I have had a Roberts in mine now for at least 4 years it has worked flawlessly. I don't have a problem with any of his parts. I must say if you are in this hobby & are shopping price,  you need a new hobby.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have ta not care about money to be in this hobby? huh...didn't know that. lol

Definately want to have an open mind about the"budget"...that's for sure.

I think the issue here is finding what's right for the project, and paying to much for the wrong part adds insult to injury.

48D

• Like 2