Stooopid Award

Don Jordan

Normally I wouldn't be able to tell this because I would be too embarrassed. The good news is no one knows me and I've got to get this off my chest. In all my years I've never read anyone doing anything this stupid. If there was a trophy I'd get it.

I was going to go for a ride so I walked down and opened the gate. As I was walking back to the car I noticed it was rolling. I ran up and pulled the door open. Grabbed the steering wheel and tried to get my foot on the brake. The car was rolling, I was on one foot, lost my balance and fell.

I tell people I'm unlucky but I'm lucky at it. Instead of going through my new $3,000 fence the car rolled into a tree. Smashed the rear fender. Because the door was open it snapped it open and back. I could have run over myself - I don't know what happened - It happened so fast.

I have to applaud Hagerty. They are going to cover it. I felt so guilty I almost didn't call. The estimate I got was $6,000 just for labor and paint.

bummer.

post-480-13585370945175_thumb.jpg

post-480-13585370945936_thumb.jpg

post-480-13585370946553_thumb.jpg

I think it be the truth that if you have worked on a car, drove a car or just watching a car things do happen. When I was a bit younger I tried to go up a motorcycle hill with my 40 hp model A Ford. It was a four door and I had all my buddies with me. Well got about a 1/3 of the way up that hill and ran out of poop! So in my great thought process I thought I would just roll backwards and turn the steering wheel and come down forward"WRONG!" I started to make that turn and I could feel the car coming oft two of the uphill tires and so I stated to my passengers"Quick get out and hold up my car from rolling over!" They did just what I said and well it was close but the car did not roll down the hill on it top and boy do I remember that moment of terror.:(

Don I know when I crashed my plymouth I got many offers for parts to help me. I'm pretty sure one was even from you. Either way I have lots of parts. Let me know of ANYTHING you need. I know for sure I've got some door hinges laying around.

Yes thanks for telling me that now. :o

Thank you all for your support. I told one of my friends and his reply was "You'll heal."

Thank you also for the offer of parts. It was interesting that the guy at Hagerty said he knows lots of suppliers. He'll make some calls. The body shop said they want to replace the rear fender. It seems they could pound it out but I'll see what I can do. I believe I have some extra fenders - probably not the one I need. The car is in the shop right now.

I've got to adjust the emergency brake.

Don...........1st thing is sorry to hear about this unfortunate mishap, but glad you are ok.

2nd thing is you are truly a car guy sharing this event with the forum and putting yourself out there for all to see. I am sure we all have had dumbass things we have done in the garage or on the road but have not shared with anyone.

Have lots of respect for you for that.

I had a leg like that from a dirt bike motorcycle accident. Mine went from the crouch to my foot. It eventyally turned 'green' as it healed. The doctor told me to be very, very careful because that bruse could start a clot and . . . So my suggestion is to show that to your doctor soon. He may put you on a clot prevention med. Like others, I wish you well.

Emergency or parking brake.

I came home one day from work, parked my 66 Plymouth, stick shift, and applied the parking brake.

An hour later my neighbor came to my home, and asked if I could remove my car from his driveway. My Plymouth had rolled dowm my driveway, crossed the street, and went about 40 feet up his driveway. I started the car, and it would not move forward, but would move backward. I released the parking brake, and the car moved easy.:eek:

I had better check out my parking brake on my 38 Coupe today.

Ouch...and ouch! At least your's was an honerable event...me, not so much! Back when I was 20{a few years ago} and living in an apt complex, I tried a rolling burnout with my new to me motorcycle...started off ok but went bad in a hurry when I couldn't stop her...did stop though when I hit the parked car! Luckily the owner never said a word...why would I, it was my car! :mad: ...poetic justice and murphy's law were in full swing that day.

As I said, at least yours was a good excuse...

Don,I had an almost identical colourful bruise...Some years ago,(like 30),I was down in Kansas City,Mo. on a training course.The hotel I was staying at had a tennis court.Looked like fun and I decided I would play a game of tennis...strictly a novice and on the court, I stopped short with a neat pair of tennis shoes I had just bought and whatever happened I was in pain, ended up I had a similar ugly bruise, (from my thigh to calf)...Went to see my doctor when I got home, my doctor asked me - what happened?..Said I was down in Kansas City,etc....Said he had never seen anything like that before....asked me if I'd been out with any strange women...true story .:)... Hope you heal quickly :)