Question about window rubber

47heaven

I was just checking through Steele's catalog on their window rubber parts. Unfortunately, I haven't won the lottery lately, so their prices are a little out of my spending reach.

I noticed that Robert's sells window rubber at more reasonable price. Has anyone here ever purchased their window rubber and if so, how good is it? Andy Bernbaum sells it too. How about his? I'm having the car painted this month and need to get the rubber put in right after.

For what it's worth, I used AB's rubber for my windshield and rear window. Never again. They were a real problem installing. Fit is terrible, especially the front which comes with a separate centre piece. I had a local auto glass outfit come to do the install since I didn't want to break the new glass. They spent over 1/2 day doing it and cursed the whole time. No fun. Next time I will pay the extra and go with Steele. Theirs are the all one piece front.

Phil

Several years ago I tried to use a windshield rubber from Andy B. It was a mess! The glass shop worked for two days trying to get it to fit. We ordered one from Steele and it took less than an hour to install! Some of the Roberts rubber I have used in the past didn't fit well but the stuff I have used lately was great.

Bob

We have dealt with the same issue on the pilot-house truck forum and have experienced the same results as those listed above. Steele rubber really does seem to be the best fit. Now, having said that, we have had users that have had good experiences with Clesters:

http://www.clestersauto.com/index.htm

Their rubber fit properly and was a little bit less expensive than Steel's. They are a smaller company and don't have as large of an inventory, but I think you will be happy with their product. So far, they're the only alternative to Steel that some of us truck guys seem to be happy with.

I used front and read window rubber from Roberts along with vent window gaskets. All of them fit perfectly and are still soft after nearly ten years. I recall when I ordered them, the price was exactly 50% of Steele's price. I have always wondered if Roberts got their rubber from Steele.

Keep in mind, this was a long time ago as prices go.

I have some from Robert's in a bax in the Garage, Good as new but I have no idea ( and apparently niether did Robert's) what it fits. It was for the two rear quarters and back light for my Bizzy coupe. It came in a one single long piece. Glass man cut one for the side window and stopped after about 15 minutes. So I bit the bullet and bought STEELE. for the Windshieds, 1/4's rear, and the ventwings. All wnet in with no problem and are leak free.

There have been a couple of threads on the old forum about folks having problems wit the vent window pieces, but mine went on W/O any problem and fit perfectly.