40 plymouth pickup finally home

Young Ed

Looks real good, Ed.

The wheels, tires and caps dressed it up in a hurry.

Thanks Bob

I bought those hubcaps for Dad as a Christmas present a few years ago I think from someone off this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Last update for a while. Saturday the truck successfully drove itself to storage and is not stashed until spring. Its in good company with my car and truck, Dads wagon, and a friends 66 300 66 dart conv and 67? rambler.

• 3 years later...

Couple pictures from today

IMAG0385_zps76d66bf0.jpg

As you can see in that old picture the tailgate never shut right. The bed was too wide and the box sides were angled out some. Dad got them uprighted but there was still a gap. So this happened today. Talk about nerve wracking!!!! 

IMG_20160823_084913.jpg

IMG_20160823_141127.jpg

• Like 2

Did he have to massage the rear support beam to get it to fit properly?

Nope that one was actually ok as far as length. We did fill and redrill the holes. We had to shave down the outside board and the next cross member up. Everything started out the right size but there were a couple slight gaps throughout all the pieces that added up to the issue. 

I saw yesterdays picture and wondered if a filler went beneath the tailgate/floor...guess not..

There is a very practical reason for this. Rain water etc......needs to be able to drain out. I have seen vintage pick-up over builds that don't allow standing water to drain out. A recipe for rust and rot if there ever was one.

Jeff