Oil problems

UKPlymouth

Just rebuilt the stock short block motor on my P15. Everything seems fine with the exception of the oil filter. I have replaced the sealed by-pass oil filter with one that you can replace the elements in. Problem is, every time I run the engine it forces oil out of the top of the filter and deposits it on my drive.

This is not pleasing my (usually) very understanding wife! The rubber seal on the canister looks good and I've tried really tightening it down but nothing seems to work.

Regarding pressure, I'm getting about 45 psi on a reasonably fast idle. The dipstick is telling me to add another quart so I have not over-filled it.

I have a 150 mile journey on Friday so if I can't find a solution it's back with the original sealed canister. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

On my filter canister the very top of the dome was pulled down from many years of tightening , or over tightening . This meant that the tightening bolt was tight or out of threads before the filter cap pulled the gasket tight enough , and it would leak . The solution was hammering the dome back into shape . Also on mine there is a copper washer between the top of the dome and the tightening nut , which is a T handle , to seal the center of the top . Now I have never had the center section apart to get at the copper washer but another member has had his apart .

Makes it like they were born. Without the optional oil filter:)

Depends on the year: The filter was standard on my car.

If you aren't going to have the filter on the car it would be better to plug the holes in the block than to run a straight piece of tubing from the oil gallery to the pan drain. On your "newer" (post mid-to-late '33) engines the pressure relief valve should block the flow but just in case you might want to avoid a potential failure mode.

• 2 weeks later...

UK-

You may want to look into a modern spin-on bypass filter like the Baldwin B-164 and base. I got this tip from a gentleman that customizes M37's and PW's, the filtration is better, and the changeout mess much less. Also, the availability of elements for the "sock-type" is becoming questionable, since it's a very low-volume market.

I would retain a filter, as it will protect your engine against recirculating wear debris, and the bypass will filter all of the oil in the sump in 4-5 min at highway rpm's.

Edited by maineSSS