Rust free 40 plymouth sedan

40plyrod

Thanks everybody. Those are the same instructions I used and they do call for press wash but I couldn't find any and the fellow at the printshop said that camp fuel was pretty close. It worked fine when I did the dash on dad's 27 chrysler so I'm hoping for no trouble this time either.

• 2 months later...

I haven't updated in a while because photos of block sanding are pretty boring (thankfully that's over  :) ) and my kids had a big push on to get the go-kart going. I have kept working on the Plymouth though. It's now ready for paint. I've spent the last few days shoveling the shop out so that it's clean enough to paint in, and I've started masking off the car. I hope to paint sometime in the next couple of weeks. 

post-2834-0-87216300-1403530302_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-94718600-1403530321_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-93774600-1403530344_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-90170000-1403530363_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You have a ton of great work here!  A lot of helpful information as well! 

What did you do to replace the floor of your trunk?  Did you find a new one, or use sheet metal?

Thank you.  I just used cardboard at first to get the pattern of the pieces I needed then traced them on 18 gauge sheetmetal, cut them out, bead rolled some ribs in for strength and welded it all together.  

Edited by 40plyrod

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. It's exactly 1'x1' bigger than my brother-in-laws,  :D no immature childish competition going on here.

keeping up with the joneses ??? like the  walon  song says  4 car garage and still building on,,,,,,,lol

That's a nice colour......the whole cars a credit to you........are you running those yellow rims and whitewalls?........regards from oz......andyd

Gray=. Flat black=. Color=. Painting is new to me. So would you fill in the blanks?

The grey is the high build primer that was sanded down with 400 grit. The black is a epoxy sealer that is put on to cover any places that have been sanded through when block sanding, it's allowed to flash off and then is covered with the base color which drys flat. Using black as the sealer is supposed to give you a truer color. And finally you spray clear coat to give it some shine a lot of paint jobs end there but I'm planning to wet sand the clear next and then polish it back up.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. It was a great weekend, I worked painting my car around my buddy Dale who moved to Alberta last fall coming to visit and pick up his 54 Oldsmobile that I've been babysitting for him. I helped him paint his car so he wanted to return the favor. It was great having someone to keep mixing paint as well as the extra pair of eyes.  Car painted + BS-ing + Beer = A great weekend

Thanks guys. It was a great weekend, I worked painting my car around my buddy Dale who moved to Alberta last fall coming to visit and pick up his 54 Oldsmobile that I've been babysitting for him. I helped him paint his car so he wanted to return the favor. It was great having someone to keep mixing paint as well as the extra pair of eyes.  Car painted + BS-ing + Beer = A great weekend

Here's Dale's Olds to give you an idea of what these guys do.

IMG_2929a_zps8cfbedcc.jpg

-

IMG_2931_zps22b50ce3.jpg

-

IMG_2931a_zpsea6bdf17.jpg

• Like 1