elctric fuel pumps

claybill

I hooked up my electric fuel pump with an oil presure switch with three legs. One leg is marked P for pump the other is marked S for start wire from starter when engine is cranking and I for ignition. Works great and is nice pecae of mind for safety. The pump only pumps when Starter turns over and when engine is running as long as there is oil presure. Engine stops oil presure falls and pump stops.:cool:

• Thanks 1

there are 2 kinds of electric fuel pumps..

solid state and the bellows or diaphram type.

i had 2 diaphram types that quit. switched to solid state..so far no problems.

claybill

hey norm, which did you use?

Claybill;

How does a "solid state" fuel pump work? Is there not a diaphram in a solid state pump?

There are actually several types of electric fuel pumps. Parastolic, diaphragm, gear, to name a few. They can be driven by a small electric motor, a solenoid, mechanical relay, solid state relay, or other means. I believe solid state is making reference to the controlling device on the pump. A solid state relay can be used to control most of these pumps.

Personally, after having the bellows pump myself on my P15 and my brother in law having the solid state type on his 36 Ford, I'll stay with the mechanical pumps.

When my electric pump went out after only 11 months the car did not starve for gas at all. It flooded out due to too much gas being pumped into the car. Flooded so bad it had gas all the way up to the carb neck when that happened. I had been driving at about 30 MPH at the same time it flooded that bad before the engine cut out. I was using the electric pump full time.

Looking at my brother in laws 36 Ford, he never drives it hardly. Maybe around the block once a year. He has the solid state electric pump it and only uses it to start the car, then turns it off. That car has gone through about 3 solid state pumps in the last 10 or 12 years and it doesn't go anywhere. His pump would probably not last that long if he started and drove the car more.

So because of the above, I'll stay with the old mechanical pumps. About the only time an electric pump is better in my opinion is for starting a car. Then the only advantage is the fact you don't need to pump the pedal a couple of times to get gas going. My foot can use the exercise of the one or two pumps it takes with the mechanical pump to start the car.:D

16 years and counting Norm..and my car does not get out that much either..it is not the use or lack of use...I drove my Porsche constantly with the Facett brand solid state for over 5 years before I sold it..never a fault...proper wire size, good connections and grounds plays a more important role. I have the same baby now installed on the 41 Bigbutt..'cept I think Facett brand is no longer and Bendix and Purlator market the same animal.

I hooked up my electric fuel pump with an oil presure switch with three legs. One leg is marked P for pump the other is marked S for start wire from starter when engine is cranking and I for ignition. Works great and is nice pecae of mind for safety. The pump only pumps when Starter turns over and when engine is running as long as there is oil presure. Engine stops oil presure falls and pump stops.:cool:

So, do you have both the mechanical AND the electric fuel pumps hooked up? In any case...do you have a diagram of the electrical/oil pressure switch set up?

So, do you have both the mechanical AND the electric fuel pumps hooked up? In any case...do you have a diagram of the electrical/oil pressure switch set up?

I just have an electric fuel pump only. I do not have diagram, I just wired it like I said in the above post. Worked out fine. I used a Standard brand oil pressure switch part # PS64. Hope this helps!:cool:

THANKS!!!