4 wheel disc brake conversion?

I am in the process of fitting disc brakes at all 4 corners. The 2000 Grand Cherokee rear is in with it's 12" discs. I am in the process of fitting a Rusty Hope conversion in front.

Next will be a new master cylinder and proportioning valve.....and of course all new brake lines. I think a Grand Cherokee M/C and proportioning valve makes the most sense.....but I would like to hear from others regarding this.

It seems like I will not need any additional hardware (like residual valves) other than new 3/16" brake lines....... but again it would be great to know what has worked well for those of you who have done similar conversions.

Thanks, Jeff

Anybody have any experience with Wilwood adjustable proportioning valves?

From what I have been able to gather they have a very good fine adjustment mechanism for the rear brakes.

It seems to me that one of the most important tasks when doing a mod like this is to be able to dial in the Front to Rear braking ratio.

Jeff

that is correct..if mix matching components...odds of getting a compatable mix on your own is lessened..weight transfer is a big part even if transferring units that are mormally matched on the donor..could still cause rear wheel lock up on the receiving vehicle..not much proce difference..other styles are available..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3905

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwood-Knob-Style-Proportioning-Valve,6494.html

Wilwood has an excellent reputation in the racing community, so I'm pretty sure their stuff would be ok for our trucks... this is the one I was going to order...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-260-11179/ I like that you plumb the front and rear into in from the master, and it splits the fronts for you... no T fitting down the line. It also has the brake light switch built in as well....

I dunno about the residual valves.. the only purpose of using them is to prevent "back flow" from calipers that may be mounted ABOVE the master cylinder. I know other trucks (Chevy AD's) use them(?) with their retro fits, but others on the board have updated their masters without having to utilize them. So I guess I'll forgo using them with my update.

Got my Matco flaring tool in the mail yesterday.. so I hope I can go forward with mine soon too!

Marc

Tim;

The Wilwood unit I am looking at is a combination unit ...... it seems like a pretty nice setup with provisions for either a combo front line or split front line and a provision for the brake switch. They also have 2# residual valves which they recommend mounting as close to the valve as possible.

I know a couple of fellows who build off road racers and they install these or similar units all the time......but they have had issues with residual valves sticking or malfunctioning and don't generally install them on the trucks and buggies they build. Not exactly sure what that is all about???

Wilwood also has a tandem remote M/C with a 1" bore that might be a good fit instead of the Grand Cherokee M/C.

Jeff

Marc;

Yes that is the valve I am thinking of using as well. I have heard good things about these too. As with any modification there are so many ways you can go...or in this case stop. :D I am just trying to make certain I have considered all the possibilities.....and hopefully select the right combination of bits and pieces.

I know there will be other challenges ahead ..... but it would be great to get this right.

Jeff