My Brothers New 1946 Dodge D-24! (Picts)

Beatles65

This morning my father and I went and made the deal on this 1946 Dodge Four Door Sedan. The car was local and I had seen it advertised on eBay and craigslist for a few weeks. My younger brother was interested in purchasing an old car so we went and took a trip down to the small town where the car was located this last Wednesday. He loved the car and said that if everything checked out on it then he would be interested in buying it. On Thursday I went down again and took the car for a test drive to see and make sure everything was good mechanically. The car shifted nice and drove very well so I told the seller we wanted it and we agreed on the price of $3100. The car is a beautiful 48,000 original mile vehicle that drives very nice! We paid for the car this morning and drove it home, and everything went very well! She starts right up with the turn of the key and the pushing of the button. I cruised nicely along in it during the half hour trip back home, going 60-65 the whole way on the highways. I'll have to play with the Fluid Drive transmission when driving it some more but it seems to work good!

The cars brakes had been gone through by the seller, he rebuilt the wheel cylinders and checked the master cylinder and brake lines, so the brakes have good stopping power. The engine has had a tune up with new spark plus, wire, and new components in the distributor. The wheel bearings have all been checked and repacked. There is a new exhaust on the car, but it only goes half way back so I need to add some pipe to take it to the rear. The tires are all new with new tubes. On the ride back the temperature gauge stayed between 160 and 170 so she is cooling fine. The oil pressure stayed at about 40, does that sound right? The ammeter was working and showed it was charging correctly. The fuel level gauge was acting up and fluctuated up and down from time to time, but mostly stayed at the empty mark. We did fill the tank full before heading for home. The car has new paint that shows nice, but it isn't a professional job by any means. That’s OK though since i don't see the point in laying down thousands of dollars on paint that can just be scratched the next day. We had to strap down the hood as the release mechinism was removed from one side and is missing on the other side. Could someone post a picture of how the cable runs from the engine compartment to the inside of the car?

I need to put in rear window glass as there isn't glass in the back. I do have a piece that I pulled out of a 1946 Dodge Parts car. When installing new glass do I need to put some kind of sealant between the rubber and where the glass makes contact with the rubber? I've never installed glass before but it looks like it would be fairly easy. The glass came out of the parts car easy enough! I also need to pull some of the trim off the parts car to put on this car. I am in need of the piece of trim that goes between the door trim and the hood trim, its only a piece about 4 inches long, and I'm in need of both sides. If anyone has those pieces please contact me. I'm also looking for the Dodge script that does on the trunk and two hub caps as the car only came with two. We need an good original left drivers door panel if someone has one. We need the left and right panels that goes above the rear arm rests in the back seat. We also need windsheild wipers as they are absent on the car. We need the panels that go on the sides by the feet of the driver and passanger. The car did come with extra seats to use witch is nice!

All in all it will be a good car for my brother to learn on and have fun with. He's 17 years old will be a senior in high-school and can't wait to drive it to school, he just needs to learn how to drive a stick first! He wasn't able to go along with us to get the car today as he had football practice, then choir practice and has to work this evening, so when he does come home I guarantee you he will want to go take it for a drive! Well I hope you have enjoyed the story and look forward to your replies, and if you have any of the parts I need please let me know!

Thanks! :)

From Denton, Nebraska.

Andrew Kean

post-7234-13585370322633_thumb.jpg

post-7234-1358537032304_thumb.jpg

post-7234-13585370323334_thumb.jpg

post-7234-13585370323772_thumb.jpg

post-7234-13585370324095_thumb.jpg

That is a nice looking car and you guys are going to have a lot of fun . The oil pressure at 40 is fine . I see that you lost just a little coolant , that could be OK too as it likes to find it's own level . On the fuel gauge check for a bad ground , a lot of guys loose their ground when the gas tank is painted . It could be a loose wire too .

You got a great looking car there. I love the color. I had a '48 Dodge sedan once and loved it:). These Dodges are the best.

John R

I'm partial to the color too! Great car, congrats on the purchase.

Congratulation Andrew!

Once again you scored a very nice car at good price! I also like the color and the condition seems to be optimal for a driver - trailer queens are a bore.

... When installing new glass do I need to put some kind of sealant between the rubber and where the glass makes contact with the rubber? ...

I installed a new rubber seal to my D24 a couple of years back. The very same job you're doing. I did not used any sealant, however the Dodge shop manual does recommend "mopar sealer" btw glass and rubber. I got no leaks. The tricky bit was to get the stainless trim in the rubber - I did not succeed very well, thus I took it out. Now I need to put it back as the paint job is done and I will re-assemble the body trim.

In case you will use the old rubber, however, it may be a good idea to put some sealing paste in the groove where the glass will be sitting - to seal up the possible hair cracks in the rubber.

I will be glad to scan and e-mail you the pages involving to glass installation from the shop manual, in case you do not have one yet. Just let me know by PM.

My regards to your brother as well:

Enjoy your fine ride,

Pekka

P.s.

Among other features, you seem to have the original door panels, at least in passenger door. Please be sure to document the pattern, trim and materials.

I would also be keen to see detail photos of factory original trim, as my car was "destroyed" by amateur restoration obviously already in early 80's by some of the previous owners...

(He also has painted over all of the wood graining with a brush and metalling color car paint - yikes!)

Edited by Uncle-Pekka
correction

I think those short stainless trim pieces on the cowl are the same as

on a 46-48 Plymouth. (If that is incorrect, someone feel free to say).

In other words......you can look in Plymouth parts for sale also.

Trunk handle is same as a Plymouth (and all other Mopars of that

period.) But not much else crosses over.

why this comes up as often as it does is beyond me..while the Plymouth and Dodge (other Mopars of the era) look the same in basic design (and we are not talking rebadged cars..)...the size and appointments are all together different..body interchange is like zero..given if for some odd reason the Dodge body trim were the same design as the Plymouth (and it is not due to the pronounced step) the length is not for the cowl piece..now for the big surprise..Plymouth cowl piece is actually longer than the Dodge by some 3/4 inch..

Congrats on that D24!

My D14 is coming along, I just purchased a set of interior sun visors for the car on eBay yesterday! They're in good shape, with the hardware, buy it now for $35. I didn't even flinch!

The interior on these cars originally were a mohair or broadcloth. I've seen and saved many photos of the details of door panels. I know not everyone values the original aesthetics of the interior, I find it very comfortable and it harmonizes with the overall style of the car… Part of the experience. At some point I want to have my interior done correctly, it's not too far from correct right now, yet it could be fixed in some spots and I need a headliner.

When your son shows up to school in a big 40s sedan, he'll attract a lot of positive attention. Those cars are so enjoyable to drive around, especially with some friends.

Enjoy the project! Looks like you have a lot of the original pieces to use as patterns to go off of! And one can find the cloth that will closely resemble the original without breaking the bank. :-)

Hi!

I have a 1941 coupe!! this kind of dodge is the best cars of the 40's ^^ (with the packard :P )

my car

and my 41 at home

adrien-dsc_0742-img.jpg

adrien-dodge-detroit115-img.jpg

Very nice '41 Club Coupe! I really like how high the pre-war Dodge cars sat! They have a nice stance I think. :-)

the business coupes are awesome..the Town Sedan are also a bit more uncommon..I got to admit that I like the '41's without running boards a bit better...but they will stay on the Town Sedan.took a while to get the notion of runing board from the car's design altogether..the P18 Plymouth ushered in this straight body design..

post-7-135853704909_thumb.jpg

post-7-13585370491594_thumb.jpg

the business coupes are awesome..the Town Sedan are also a bit more uncommon..I got to admit that I like the '41's without running boards a bit better...but they will stay on the Town Sedan.took a while to get the notion of runing board from the car's design altogether..the P18 Plymouth ushered in this straight body design..

the buisness coupe is so beautiful body!! with this very long trunk!!!

maybe somebody can help me..... i search a clock for my 41, and it's very hard to find! anybody know where i can find one? even if it does not work! juste for complete my dash board with this beautiful part!

What a very nice buy.:cool:

I got my drivers licence back in 1970 (18 years old) and my first car was a 48 Dodge 4 door.:)

I loved this car but unfortunately I had to sell it 1 year later.

I still regret that decision 42 years later.:(

The only way for me to get over that loss was to buy my 1940 Chrysler Coupe C25.:D

The Pentastar bug had bitten and dosen't look like going away.;)

Mick.

• 9 months later...

1940 chrysler !! wow !! nice car ! 

a friend have a royal sedan but she need to be restored.

my 48 got a new engine ! the old is in realy poor conditions !  some water get in during 3 years maybe, when i drain it half water and half oil !!  il totaly open it ... oh lord ! horible vison of rust into cylinder, oil pump and everywhere ! everithing's stack by rust i remove the piston with a hammer and he don't moving anyway ! it be broke before moving ... so  i check all the measure, bore etc with a comparateur (i don't know the name in english, this is the special tool to take measure with high precision)  well, my engin is out of tolerence everywhere and it be rebored in the past, i don't have choice and i should change it for another.