things i find in the woods....

wallytoo

that's a sharp looking 7, and a nice 3a.

wheels are a personal preference. :o

i like that yellow.

The wheels came with it along with all the chome/stainless hinges etc. The color is from a Saturn Vue I think they just called it medium yellow. It was intended to mimic 77 CJ7 Sunshine Yellow. Dad bought one of those new.

That red 2A brings back memories... we had a 1946 on the farm for better than 30 years. Father in law sold the carcass a few years ago when I was in Washington state. Salt blocks had finally destroyed the body tub, frame and rear axle. Some picker (I really HATE that crowd) snapped it up as a parts junker.

I'm sometimes amazed at what I see out in the woods up here (east central New Hampshire :D ). The best though, was a place just outside Athens, GA.

When I lived there, there was a guy that had all manner of vehicles with trees growing around them. I'd say over 100 cars, from the 70's and earlier. Cadillac, an Edsel, and even a GTO Judge sitting surrounded by pine trees. Willing to make deals, but you had to make the arrangements to remove the trees to get the car out. I was looking for a 427 for my '67 Galaxie at the time, but it was tempting to try to find a way to get one of those cars.

EDIT: BTW, I'd love a CJ8.

RSD

Edited by rtlsnakedaddy

There's some guys not far from me that restore Jeeps. They sell 'em on the net and have exported several. They always put them back original, they say they sell quicker and bring more. I stop in every now and then just to see what they're working on. Last time I was there, the old guy that owns the shop came out and looked at mine and said, "You need to get a rear bumper on that before you get a ticket". I said yea your right, he told me to come around back. He had a pile of offroad bumpers he'd taken off, also light bars and a bunch of stuff that wasn't oem Jeep. He said help yourself to any or all of that junk. I bout fell over, I got a nice dual tube front bumper, some KC lights. a light bar and a grill guard. I even tried to give him some money but he said no sir, take it on. We got to talking and he told me that a while back that Hemmings did an article on Jeep CJ's. He said the author said that Jeeps were the only vehicle that didn't drop in value when the economy went down. I know nice ones bring big $$$ even the rust buckets are pricey. I've got the 2 models I was most interested in but would still like to own, an MB '41-45, a CJ6, and a 40's -50's Jeep truck. I know...it's a sickness.:)

• 1 month later...

going through some older photos. came upon this truck in the woods of central vermont about 12 years ago while doing some work on a 1200 acre property.

i found the cars on a property not far from my house about 7 years ago.

the boulder was in southern nh. you can get a sense of scale from my dog at the base of it. this is a glacial erratic.

and finally, a quill-pig den tree with a pile of quill-pig droppings fanning out from the base of it. pile was over 5 feet high and 20 feet across.

post-1455-1358537255331_thumb.jpg

post-1455-13585372553868_thumb.jpg

post-1455-1358537255444_thumb.jpg

post-1455-13585372555038_thumb.jpg

post-1455-13585372557653_thumb.jpg

Edited by wallytoo
  • Like 1

Quill-pig? = Porcupine?

I can relate to austinsailor, I'm pretty sure that's what my wife envisions whenever I bring something "new" home - Although there were a few times she wouldn't have been too far off.

Wally, your pic of that old Autocar out in the woods reminded me of these shots that I took about three years ago of a few very similar rigs. The main difference is that this truckie trio is parked right by a fairly busy state highway in western Massachusetts, making them a very popular subject for photographers. They've been sitting in this spot for nearly forty years since I first saw them, and probably for quite a while before that!

post-1531-13585372573641_thumb.jpg

post-1531-13585372574366_thumb.jpg

post-1531-1358537257484_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

My grandfather had a BE sitting in the yard when I was a kid. He was a general contractor and it was his first machine. He refused to get rid of it and it finally went after both of my granparents passed away.  I'm sorry now that I didnt have the foresight to keep it and restore it.

back to original topic.... Shouldt be  hard to determine who owns this Dodge. and the land it sets on.  I would salvage everything I could with permission of owner....who obviously isnt to connected / proud with it. See window mouldings and some stainless,,,engine and tranny????Hinges, handles?

I didn't know it was called a B.E. Shovel...it reminds me of a childrens book I had that was about about a car the escaped the wrecking yard and made into a hotrod.....the book had a strong 50's influence. I seem to remember that BE as the wrecker in the yard.

48D

update:  "Mike Mulligan And His Steam Shovel"......

Edited by 48dodger

• 1 year later...

What I found in the woods about 40 years ago in Michigan near my house.

When I was a young teenager and working on cars in my Dad's garage I got interested in fixing up an old Studebaker pickup truck.

It was at the back of a nearby owner's property next to the wood line.  It had been sitting there for years on six flat ties but the windows were unbroken and all the parts were there.

So I went up to the house and knocked on the door in 1972 and spoke to the owner's son.  His dad was in his 80s and this was his Dad's first truck that he had every bought.  Needless to the father was not interested in selling at that time.

Fast forward to today ... and the Studebaker is still there ... now sunk up to the axles with the wood bed rotted completely off.  Both the son and father have passed away with no close relatives and the house and yard have fallen into disrepair.  Vandals have been stripping stuff from the house and yard for years now.  Recently the township has come in and cleaned up the yard and the property is going to be sold.

Ah well if only I could have gotten it 40 years ago ...

post-7088-0-35532200-1419280085_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-26390500-1419280155_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil363
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Aha, here's the thread.  I remembered Wallytoo's posts about stuff found in the woods that I had seen when we lived in western NY, but couldn't remember who posted them.  We've since moved to northern Maine, and I'm finding all sorts of things in the woods.  Thankfully, my job description would include that the whole state of Maine is my office, and I have to poke around the wilderness quite a bit.  I've found stuff, especially derelict cars and trucks, in places you wouldn't think they'd be.  Unfortunately, that job description also means I usually don't have the luxury of time to take photos, although I do try and revisit "sightings" in my off time when I can.  Wallytoo can probably relate - finding this stuff in the forests of New England is more often than not a chance encounter.  Fall is usually the best time, otherwise they're hidden by vegetation or snow and you usually have to bump into them to find them.   

IMG_0224.JPG.d296f647887fbc76573c759d3fd50167.JPG

Edited by Dan Hiebert
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Aha, here's the thread.  I remembered Wallytoo's posts about stuff found in the woods that I had seen when we lived in western NY, but couldn't remember who posted them.  We've since moved to northern Maine, and I'm finding all sorts of things in the woods.  Thankfully, my job description would include that the whole state of Maine is my office, and I have to poke around the wilderness quite a bit.  I've found stuff, especially derelict cars and trucks, in places you wouldn't think they'd be.  Unfortunately, that job description also means I usually don't have the luxury of time to take photos, although I do try and revisit "sightings" in my off time when I can.  Wallytoo can probably relate - finding this stuff in the forests of New England is more often than not a chance encounter.  Fall is usually the best time, otherwise they're hidden by vegetation or snow and you usually have to bump into them to find them.   

IMG_0224.JPG.d296f647887fbc76573c759d3fd50167.JPG

two skeltons in the front, weathered road map near the hands of the female passenger...need I say more...

that looks to be a fairly decent body and some follower out there in reader-land would love to snag that puppy