Canadian Wartime Sales

Bill Kreiner

I'm currently studying worldwide car production, sales, deliveries, registrations, etc., so I thought I'd post the following for any interested parties.

1942 Domestic Civilian Shipments

1942 Export Shipments

1942 War Units Shipments

1942 Domestic Breakdown

(all calendar year)

1942-Domestic-Civilian-Sales.jpg

1942-Export-Sales.jpg

1942-War-Units-Sales.jpg

1942-Domestic-Sales-Breakdown.jpg

Edited by Bill Kreiner

Hi Bill,Thanks for the interesting post on wartime production figures for 1942...True story - In 1964 I was working at a shipyard in Victoria on Vancouver Island,B.C.,Canada.At the time, I owned a 1937 Chrysler Royal coupe.Looking for parts close by in Langford and what were at that time lots of small,(few acres), auto wrecker yards in the area ,I spotted a 1942 Desoto convertible which was in easily restorable condition and probably destined for scrap.I can remember exactly what caught my eye and that was the retractable head light covers.The Desoto didn't have parts I was looking for and I passed it by - but the indelible memory of the sighting is there.I'm sure there's lot of similar experiences amongst forum members...Don't want to hijack the thread,but your posting brought back the memory. :)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

That's a great but sad story, Ralph! I recently saw what looked like a '42 Desoto sedan, but with blackout trim, and bearing a 1944 N.Y. registration, so it must have been one of the ones "frozen" by gov't edict, either at the factory or a dealer storage lot, and first sold and licensed in 1944. (The Canadian 1943-1944 shipment sheets show mainly export car figures for those years, so some must have been held at the Canadian factory too, or even assembled from parts on hand during the war.)

My paternal grandfather had a 1947 Dodge, which I am trying to find a picture of in family albums. He said it was the best car he ever owned. He kept it till the early 1960s, when his son (my uncle) took it over and wrecked it, sadly. My dad's first car was a 1947 Mercury ragtop, which he loved.

Interesting the number of 1941 cars shipped/exported in 1942.

To decode the 1941 Plymouth & Dodge models -

P11 - Roadking

P11 Spec - Roadking Special

P12 Del - DeLuxe

P12 Cus - Custom

D20 - Kingsway

D20 Spec - Kingsway Special

D21 - DeLuxe

D21 Spec - DeLuxe Special

Car production came to an end by early February, 1942, and cars were stockpiled. Thus any cars shipped after February, 1942, through to Decmber, 1945, were cars from that store of cars.

Although truck production continued at the truck plant on Tecumseh at McDougall, the car assembly line at Chrysler Centre was ripped up and all the tools and equipment placed into storage for the duration.

Chrysler of Canada had purchased the Fisher Body plant on Edna Street at St.Luke in Windsor in January, 1927, for body production. The plant became a storage facility for Chrysler of Canada from 1941 through 1945. At war`s end the production equipment stored at Edna Street was transferred back to the Chrysler Centre plant. The plant burned down in the 1970`s, I believe.

Another plant used by Chrysler during that era was the old American Auto Trimming plant on Walker Road. It had been used by Graham-Paige from 1931 to 1936, and Chrysler began using it for export preparation (CKD) in 1939. Again, the plant was abandoned after the war when the export of vehicles returned to normal levels. This plant also burned down in the 1970`s.

Here is a VERY telling statistic. The allied and the axis armed forces totaled nearly the same. The Allied leaders believed in God the Axis leaders were atheists. The Axis casualty rate was 45%; The Allied: British Commonwealth wass 27%, USA was 7%.

Makes one pause.

Since 1969 when I purchased my 1st 1940 Dodge Coupe,(see attached pic, centre on the page) Oz body I have seen two 1942 Mopar products, a 1942 Dodge 4dr sedan in the large wrecking yard at Cooma NSW, it was still there in the late 90's and the other car was a 1942 Plymouth Convertible in Young, NSW in the mid 1970's. Both cars would have been restorable and as they were a hundred or more km's inland would have only suffered minimal rust

Oz was at war from Sept 1939 and how both these cars ended up here who knows, 1941 cars are rare enough....lol..........btw do you have any info on the Chrysler plant that opened & closed in 1941 in Sth Africa......my P11 Coupes from there...........andyd

post-1938-13585370067734_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585370068167_thumb.jpg

Interesting the number of 1941 cars shipped/exported in 1942.

To decode the 1941 Plymouth & Dodge models -

P11 - Roadking

P11 Spec - Roadking Special

P12 Del - DeLuxe

P12 Cus - Custom

D20 - Kingsway

D20 Spec - Kingsway Special

D21 - DeLuxe

D21 Spec - DeLuxe Special

Car production came to an end by early February, 1942, and cars were stockpiled. Thus any cars shipped after February, 1942, through to Decmber, 1945, were cars from that store of cars.

Although truck production continued at the truck plant on Tecumseh at McDougall, the car assembly line at Chrysler Centre was ripped up and all the tools and equipment placed into storage for the duration.

Chrysler of Canada had purchased the Fisher Body plant on Edna Street at St.Luke in Windsor in January, 1927, for body production. The plant became a storage facility for Chrysler of Canada from 1941 through 1945. At war`s end the production equipment stored at Edna Street was transferred back to the Chrysler Centre plant. The plant burned down in the 1970`s, I believe.

Another plant used by Chrysler during that era was the old American Auto Trimming plant on Walker Road. It had been used by Graham-Paige from 1931 to 1936, and Chrysler began using it for export preparation (CKD) in 1939. Again, the plant was abandoned after the war when the export of vehicles returned to normal levels. This plant also burned down in the 1970`s.

Thanks for the additional data, Bill. Did you get my PM and email via this site?

I had noticed the 1941s shipped in 1942 as well, and I believe I spotted the same type of thing for earlier years. I saw that the 1943 and 1944 shipments consisted of cars coded as 1942s, but I wasn't sure if the ones shipped that year were cobbled together then or if they were taken from storage. I assumed the latter, so thanks for confirming it. I have read (in Durnford) that some 4,500 Canadian cars of all makes were stockpiled and were doled out during the war. This must include cars in dealer storage lots, as was the case here in the U.S. Here there were roughly half a million cars in dealer storage, sold during the war. Under 2,000 came from factory storage. I have details, but not broken down by make, sadly. In Canada, there were 60 Ford cars sold and shipped from the factory during 1943-1944-1945.

Edited by Bill Kreiner
Data added.

Since 1969 when I purchased my 1st 1940 Dodge Coupe,(see attached pic, centre on the page) Oz body I have seen two 1942 Mopar products, a 1942 Dodge 4dr sedan in the large wrecking yard at Cooma NSW, it was still there in the late 90's and the other car was a 1942 Plymouth Convertible in Young, NSW in the mid 1970's. Both cars would have been restorable and as they were a hundred or more km's inland would have only suffered minimal rust

Oz was at war from Sept 1939 and how both these cars ended up here who knows, 1941 cars are rare enough....lol..........btw do you have any info on the Chrysler plant that opened & closed in 1941 in Sth Africa......my P11 Coupes from there...........andyd

Nice car! I'll have to check for info on the South African plant. I've heard of it, but am not sure if I have anything in my files. I'll also check with my Aussie contacts Mike Kelly and Eric North, who may have something on that.

It's difficult to find much data on T. J. Richards of Australia, who seem to have been the prime distributors of Chrysler products of the era. I probably should post the data I know of, along with the brochure scans I have.

The best book on Oz mopars published so far is Gavin Farmers "Great Ideas in Motion, A History of Chrysler in Australia 1946-1981".........unfortunately it has only a very small cursory mention of the pre WW2 TJ Richards manufacturing of mopars.

Eddie Ford publisher of Oz's Restored Cars Magazine has been collating info with a view to publishing a book on Chrysler in Australia for the past 15 or more years, I personally have sent a number of pics and details of oz mopars I have come across since I bought my 1st 1940 Dodge in 1969............andyd

The best book on Oz mopars published so far is Gavin Farmers "Great Ideas in Motion, A History of Chrysler in Australia 1946-1981".........unfortunately it has only a very small cursory mention of the pre WW2 TJ Richards manufacturing of mopars.

Eddie Ford publisher of Oz's Restored Cars Magazine has been collating info with a view to publishing a book on Chrysler in Australia for the past 15 or more years, I personally have sent a number of pics and details of oz mopars I have come across since I bought my 1st 1940 Dodge in 1969............andyd

My Australian friend Eric mentioned that book to me, but stated it would not be of much help to me since I study the 1940s, mainly. This leads me to believe even the 1946-49 data is relatively scant. He said that no figures are known to exist for any of the Richards production. I did post an article Eric sent me, along with a few brochures, in a separate thread.

I'm at the office and don't have my books with me, but isn't Eddie Ford the publisher of the Norm Darwin books on G.M. and Ford cars? Those are excellent books. I also have copies of the body delivery sheets (Woodville) for Holden, covering 1917-1949, with breakouts by make for 1927-1943. The late Adrian Ryan, archivist at Ford, sent me Australian Ford sales figures covering all models from 1925 to 1971.

Hi Bill

Thanks for this information. Do you have information on 1942 model year production totals for calendar year 1941?

Some years back I bought an original Passenger Car Shop Manual (DX-6772-1) for DDCP published by the Chrysler Corporation Export Division and printed in Canada. It covered cars built from 1941-1947 with some earlier coverage and some later coverage. This manual in the specifications chapter lists vehicle serial numbers. It gives three sets of serial numbers: one is the same as the American built Customs (S10C), one that is the same as the American built De Luxes (S10S) and then one that is different. It is identified as the SP14 and the serial numbers coincide with those for the 1942 Plymouth P14S De Luxe. The book lists separate mechanical specifications for the S10s and the SP14. This information indicates that there was no special serial number set aside for export models. The only way to tell for sure is to consult the individual build sheets in the Chrysler archives for American built cars. I do not know if these build sheets exist for Canadian Mopars.

I was interested to see listed for 1942 48 Canadian built SP11 under DeSoto production. I'm assuming that these may be 1941 model export De Soto Diplomats. There seems to be no way of determining from serial number lists if any of these SP14 Diplomats were ever built. As was the case for post war Diplomats, these cars combined features from both the Plymouth and DeSoto models. The 1942 had the DeSoto "waterfall" grille but the Plymouth headlights. I have a export sales folder in Spanish and if I can figure out how to attach a gif I'll post it.

Ed

Hi Bill

Thanks for this information. Do you have information on 1942 model year production totals for calendar year 1941?

Some years back I bought an original Passenger Car Shop Manual (DX-6772-1) for DDCP published by the Chrysler Corporation Export Division and printed in Canada. It covered cars built from 1941-1947 with some earlier coverage and some later coverage. This manual in the specifications chapter lists vehicle serial numbers. It gives three sets of serial numbers: one is the same as the American built Customs (S10C), one that is the same as the American built De Luxes (S10S) and then one that is different. It is identified as the SP14 and the serial numbers coincide with those for the 1942 Plymouth P14S De Luxe. The book lists separate mechanical specifications for the S10s and the SP14. This information indicates that there was no special serial number set aside for export models. The only way to tell for sure is to consult the individual build sheets in the Chrysler archives for American built cars. I do not know if these build sheets exist for Canadian Mopars.

I was interested to see listed for 1942 48 Canadian built SP11 under DeSoto production. I'm assuming that these may be 1941 model export De Soto Diplomats. There seems to be no way of determining from serial number lists if any of these SP14 Diplomats were ever built. As was the case for post war Diplomats, these cars combined features from both the Plymouth and DeSoto models. The 1942 had the DeSoto "waterfall" grille but the Plymouth headlights. I have a export sales folder in Spanish and if I can figure out how to attach a gif I'll post it.

Ed

Hi, Ed:

You are correct that the export-type, Plymouth-based Desotos had serial numbers in the Plymouth ranges, and this applies to the ones exported from the U.S. as well as those exported from Canada. Most publications don't even mention the special export DeSotos separately. I checked the American and Canadian sections of Branham's in vain. I also checked a few Britain-specific serial # / spec books (which include imports) and they don't mention the export-only Desotos either, other than the Diplomat from 1949 onwards (in Glass's Car Check Book).

I decided to take a look at good ol' Vanderveen's American Cars of the 1940s and there was indeed some data. (Bart Vanderveen ought to be more known than he is. His research was meticulous and exceptional. He concentrated on soft-skin military vehicles, including staff cars, but also put together splendid captioned picture-books on civilian vehicles.) There it is stated that the 1940 export-only, Plymouth-based Desoto was designated the SP9. For 1941, it was SP12. For 1946-1948, it was designated SP15C, and for 1949, it was SP18. Unfortunately, only the regular American-types are listed for 1942, with no mentioning of an SP14 Plymouth-based model. This does not mean none were made, since these picture books are not intended to be all-encompassing.

That leaves the conundrum of the 48 SP11 cars shipped from Canada in February of 1942. The code is suggestive of a 1941-type Plymouth-based car. I checked the 1941 export sheet, and there were indeed a small number of SP11 cars shipped in the middle of that year, so the 48 shipped in February of 1942 must have been taken from factory storage or cobbled together from parts on hand. Why there is an SP11 and no SP12 listed is beyond me. The numbers are paltry, so perhaps it was an additional low-production Plymouth-based export Desoto that warranted a separate listing, whereas the SP12 was lumped in with Plymouth? Who knows?! The 1946-48 export sheets do distinguish the SP15C, but list it under the Plymouth, and not the Desoto, section. Curiously, the 1940 export sheet lists the SP7 (1939-type) and SP9 Desotos in the Desoto section, but not a single example of either was shipped that year; the columns all have dashes. This seems hard to believe. Were they merely lumped in with the Plymouths, despite the separate listing?

This is a confusing business! I have attached the 1941 sheets for you, as you asked. Just click on the thumbnails.

post-8981-13585370120718_thumb.jpg

post-8981-1358537012114_thumb.jpg

post-8981-13585370122011_thumb.jpg

post-8981-13585370122885_thumb.jpg

post-8981-13585370123308_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill Kreiner

Dunno if this confuses the issue any more.......lol.....this is from a reprinted Oz Service Manual, in fact this is the ONLY 1936-42 Oz Chrysler service manual I have seen in 40 yrs,(the originals had a different coloured cover but everything inside was identical).

Note the errata referring to the 1941/42 engine capacities........these are the start of what was/is known in australia as the KEW engines, which came here via orders "lodged" in the UK Chrysler factory in Kew, a London suburb apparently. There is some arguement as to whether they came from the USA or Canada as the Canucks used the 25" engine ........anyway just thought I'd throw my oz 2cents in.........andyd.........btw haven't been able to speak to Eddie Ford re his Chrysler book........yet......lol......andyd

post-1938-13585370127138_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585370127369_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585370127704_thumb.jpg

Dunno if this confuses the issue any more.......lol.....this is from a reprinted Oz Service Manual, in fact this is the ONLY 1936-42 Oz Chrysler service manual I have seen in 40 yrs,(the originals had a different coloured cover but everything inside was identical).

Note the errata referring to the 1941/42 engine capacities........these are the start of what was/is known in australia as the KEW engines, which came here via orders "lodged" in the UK Chrysler factory in Kew, a London suburb apparently. There is some arguement as to whether they came from the USA or Canada as the Canucks used the 25" engine ........anyway just thought I'd throw my oz 2cents in.........andyd.........btw haven't been able to speak to Eddie Ford re his Chrysler book........yet......lol......andyd

Andy:

Thanks for posting these! They don't confuse the issue; quite contrarily, they help to clear things up. It looks like there were 2 series of export-type Plymouth-based Desotos during 1939, 1940, and 1941. Interesting, indeed. I wonder why these aren't mentioned elsewhere. I wish there had been separate serial numbers used, and separate records kept, in the U.S. and Canada for the Plymouth-based Desotos.

I'm familiar with the Kew factory, as the British Chrysler products were assembled there. A while back, I posted some scans from Motor Specifications and Prices, which show the British versions.

Did you see my thread on T. J. Richards?

Bill

In the service manual, the engine numbers ending with `C`and serial numbers starting with `9`were imported from Canada. All the others were imported from the U.S.

Chrysler Australia did not start using Kew-built engines until the Chrysler Royal appeared as the chassis was not a North American production unit. Prior to the Royal all chassis, with engine, transmission, etc., were imported. Thus the engines were either American or Canadian, depending upon where the chassis units came from.

Also, the 1955-57 Australian Plymouth, DeSoto (Diplomat) and Dodge (Kingsway) used chassis that were built in the U.S. and Canada in 1954. The 1954 Plymouth figures show 3,588 chassis units in the P25-2 series and 2,031 in the P25-3. 2,148 of the P25-2 were built in Canada for export as Plymouth or Diplomat while the rest were built in the U.S. as export Plymouth, Diplomat or Kingsway. The U.S.-built Kingsway starting using U.S. Plymouth serial numbers with the 1951 model year.

Chrysler of Canada also built 1,680 D49-2 chassis units for export as Kingsway.

The reason for switching sourcing chassis from Detroit to Windsor had to do with balance of payments after WW II. Almost every country was deep in debt, most of it owed to the U.S. Canada, for example, had currency restrictions in place from 1948 through 1951 where you needed government approval of purchase a car built in the U.S.

Bill

Toronto, ON

Hi, Ed:

You are correct that the export-type, Plymouth-based Desotos had serial numbers in the Plymouth ranges, and this applies to the ones exported from the U.S. as well as those exported from Canada. Most publications don't even mention the special export DeSotos separately. I checked the American and Canadian sections of Branham's in vain. I also checked a few Britain-specific serial # / spec books (which include imports) and they don't mention the export-only Desotos either, other than the Diplomat from 1949 onwards (in Glass's Car Check Book).

I decided to take a look at good ol' Vanderveen's American Cars of the 1940s and there was indeed some data. (Bart Vanderveen ought to be more known than he is. His research was meticulous and exceptional. He concentrated on soft-skin military vehicles, including staff cars, but also put together splendid captioned picture-books on civilian vehicles.) There it is stated that the 1940 export-only, Plymouth-based Desoto was designated the SP9. For 1941, it was SP12. For 1946-1948, it was designated SP15C, and for 1949, it was SP18. Unfortunately, only the regular American-types are listed for 1942, with no mentioning of an SP14 Plymouth-based model. This does not mean none were made, since these picture books are not intended to be all-encompassing.

That leaves the conundrum of the 48 SP11 cars shipped from Canada in February of 1942. The code is suggestive of a 1941-type Plymouth-based car. I checked the 1941 export sheet, and there were indeed a small number of SP11 cars shipped in the middle of that year, so the 48 shipped in February of 1942 must have been taken from factory storage or cobbled together from parts on hand. Why there is an SP11 and no SP12 listed is beyond me. The numbers are paltry, so perhaps it was an additional low-production Plymouth-based export Desoto that warranted a separate listing, whereas the SP12 was lumped in with Plymouth? Who knows?! The 1946-48 export sheets do distinguish the SP15C, but list it under the Plymouth, and not the Desoto, section. Curiously, the 1940 export sheet lists the SP7 (1939-type) and SP9 Desotos in the Desoto section, but not a single example of either was shipped that year; the columns all have dashes. This seems hard to believe. Were they merely lumped in with the Plymouths, despite the separate listing?

This is a confusing business! I have attached the 1941 sheets for you, as you asked. Just click on the thumbnails.

The reason for the poor showing for exports in 1940 through 1942 is the fact that, although the U.S. went to war in December, 1941, Europe, North Africa and West Asia went to war in late 1939 and 1940. Asia was at war with Japan in late 1939, although China was fighting off the Japanese back in 1931.

Thus the markets for Canadian-built export cars all but evaporated in 1940. Those export 1941 models shipped in 1942 would have been leftover models, probably originally ordered by some dealer outside of North America, but the order could not be shipped due to increasing war restrictions. The fact they were all shipped in one month in 1942 leads to the conclusion they may have been shipped for use as military vehicles somewhere across the ocean.

And that would also explain the lack of 1942 SP14 models. There were no markets to ship Canadian-built cars for civilian sale. The American plant supplied cars to South America and Africa, two areas of the world that were not as deeply in involved in war at that time as Europe and Asia.

Couple of things about the export DeSoto (called Diplomat starting in 1946) and Dodge (Kingsway starting 1946).

The DeSoto version was offered in the same dual series as Plymouth before the war. Thus the 1941 Plymouth P10 was SP10 for DeSoto and the P11 was a DeSoto SP11.

Dodge, on the other hand, had but one model number for the export series from 1935 through 1941. It was the same model number as the base Canadian-built Dodge - DV, D3, D6, D9, D12, D15 and D20. The Canadian versions of these models were based on the lowest priced U.S. Plymouth series. The DeLuxe Plymouths were the basis for the DV DeLuxe, D4, D7, D10, D13, D16 and D21.

The export Dodge offered all Plymouth body styles in one series. Thus Chrysler of Canada did not import Plymouth-based Dodge models not built in Canada from the U.S. From 1937 through to 1953 there were no Plymouth-based Dodge convertibles sold in Canada, although they did import station wagons in 1946-48.

Chrysler built Plymouth DeLuxe convertible sedans in 1939 as well as 13 Plymouth-based Dodge convertible sedans. But as these were built as Dodge D12 models and thus were not sold in Canada.

The models Chrysler of Canada imported from the U.S. were identical in equipment to the models sold in the U.S. They used 23-inch engine blocks, U.S. Plymouth interiors and exterior colours.

After the war, the 1946-48 Diplomats and Kingsways came only as Special DeLuxe models. No DeLuxe series. Thus the D25S models listed in production charts were Canadian-built Dodge DeLuxe D25S models.

Going through the British specifications, you might have noticed a Dodge D18 in 1938 and D23 in 1939. These were 8 cylinder Dodge Custom 8 models based on Chrysler Imperial 8 (C18 and C23) models. The front ends were Chrysler but all nameplates and emblems were Dodge.

(Bill - will be emailing you tomorrow.)

Bill

Toronto, ON

Bill :

Thank you for all of the helpful information, as always. I'm still trying to digest all the "badge-engineering" that went on at Chrysler at this time, but it's becoming much clearer now. After I study the data a bit more, I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Am I correct in surmising that the Plymouth-based Dodges built in the U.S. were strictly for export, while those built in Canada were for export and the home market? And that the Plymouth-based Desotos built in both countries were purely for export?

Were the Plymouth models listed under the Chrysler heading in the British specs material (during 1938, 1939, and 1940) I posted sold as Plymouths or Chryslers? I presume these were Plymouths badged as Chryslers?

I did notice the D19 and D23 1938-1939 Dodge models in Glass's Car Check Book, and the 1939 D23 in Motor Specifications and Prices. Thanks for the explanation.

As for the war affecting the exports to Europe and Asia, I figured that might be the case. But I wasn't sure who was exporting what to where. Did only the U.S.-built Chrysler products of that time get exported to Latin America, and not the Canadian-built ones?

I have detailed Ford sheets showing deliveries in Latin America (particularly Brazil) of U.S.-sourced Fords right through the war in small numbers. They must have built up kits they already had. Sweden showed a similar continuity of deliveries of both American and European Fords. I presume the American-sourced ones again were kits they had lying about. That is, what we would call a 1940 model due to its design might have been assembled in Sweden in 1944, and registered as a 1944 Ford, which of course would be technically correct since that is when it was erected. Other countries hadn't yet cared about associating a particular year with a particular design, much of the time; changes were implemented when necessary, and the same model was produced for a number of years. Often times, a model year was nothing more than a link to a company's financial year, with not much else occurring. Most countries at this time preferred to date cars by year of first registration, and that is what they hung their hats on.

This period is confusing to study, though I'm determined to make the best sense of it I can!

Looking forward to your email.

Edited by Bill Kreiner

Hi Bill,

Breaking this down to two parts -

Yes, the Dodge Kingsway models built in the US were for export, although some models were also built for Canada, such as the 1946-48 station wagon, 1954-59 convertibles and 1959 3-seat wagons. These models were shipped to Canada with specs identical to the U.S. Plymouth - 23" flathead six, US colours, etc.

The DeSoto Diplomat was also an export-only vehicle in both countries. Should point out you can find Diploimats and Kingsways in Hawaii as Hawaii was an export territory prior to becoming a state in 1959.

Chrysler shipped cars mainly to fellow members of the British Commonwealth. A number of parts were imported by Chrysler of Canada from the U.S. (chassis, transmissions, major body stampings, etc.) and thus were nailed with import duties. Members of the Commonwealth (except Britain) had low duties placed on imports from member countries, thus negating the import duties on said parts.

For vehicles shipped to countries outside the Commonwealth, there was no advantage to sourcing the vehicles from Windsor. Thus Detroit was the main source of cars and parts for the rest of the world.

Ford of Canada, by the way, had rights to build and market Ford products in all countries in the British Commonwealth. They acquired the right when the company was formed in 1904, and in return the American firm held 51% of the stock. Ford of Canada gave up its claim on Britain in 1907 when a group of British investors wished to start up factory in Britain.

Ford of Canada's first operation outside of Canada was set up in Australia in 1908.

Thus the factories in Australia, India, South Africa as well as sales organizations in New Zealand, Jamaica, Newfoundland, and the rest were all subsidiaries of Ford of Canada.

Model years -

The idea of a model year goes back to the early days of the automobile when they were thought of toys for the rich. The rich generally took to the hills when summer arrived to avoid the heat of the city. They would return in the fall and begin a new round of dinners, parties, complete with new clothes, and of course, a new car.

The model year carried forward and sometime in the second decade of the 20th century car manufacturers began declaring the first car for the new model year began on July 1st at number xxxxxx.

To complicate matters, Graham, Pontiac, Studebaker, Chrysler, and a couple of others had two model years beginning in the mid-1920's. The normal model year for the marketing people began on July 1, while the engineering people started their model year in December or January.

Chrysler marketing people continued to have the model year begin in July, as every used car guide from the era can confirm. Thus we had 1st series (models built from July and on) and 2nd series (models introduced around the beginning of January) cars during the model year.

Things finally came to a head in the early 1930's when it was decided a late summer introduction of new models would help car sales and thus production and employment. Chrysler's 1933 models were the first to be introduced under the new system (actually the old system, updated) and did not have a 1st or 2nd series, just one series.

The Plymouth model Q is a good example. It was introduced late in July, 1928, as a 1929 model, although Chrysler Engineering listed the Q as a 1928-29 model in parts books, service publications and serial number guides. Used car guides show the Q as a 1929 model with no 1928 model listed for Plymouth.

As for Europe, they did generally register a car as being a 1944 model if it was first registered in 1944, for example. Britain did have model years, even if the cars did not change from year to year. I have a number of Glass's Car Check Books going back to the fall of 1933, and they list the serial numbers when the new model year began.

In North America, during WW II, all cars shipped from February, 1942, until they ran out cars were counted by the manufacturer as being 1942 models, as they were built during the shortened 1942 model year. However, states that registered the car as being the year in which it was first registered, generally would call a car first registered in March, 1943, as a 1943 model. Which leads to confusion to the nth degree.

The majority of automobile companies used the calendar year for their fiscal year. The only companies I can think of off hand that did not in the 1940's was Nash and Willys-Overland - both were September 30th.