Valve in my Intake Manifold?

Hi, I am new to this stuff. Just bought a 1951 B3b. I am learning about this thing slowly, but found something I couldn't figure out.

There is a valve of some sort in my front intake manifold. The valve is spring loaded, and there is a lever on it that looks like it might be moved with a cable of some sort.

It is not the heat riser, 'cause it is just below it on the exhaust manifold.

I don't have a clue.

The valve is your automatic choke also known as a Sisson choke. There is supposed to be a rod from the lever to the choke on the carb. It appears part of it is missing, there should be an electric solenoid on top.

You might make a note of the position of the lever. See if it changes position, cold to hot. If so it may still be working. Many were disconnected and replaced by a hand choke when they stopped working.

Up = closed

Down = open

It is up in the picture as if the motor is cold. If it goes down to a horizontal position when hot, it is working.

Edited by Rusty O'Toole

Thanks.

currently the choke will only half close, as the vacuum assist line to the distributor is preventing it from closing all the way.

I just saw this the other day, and like I said I am totally new to these old vehicles.

Is there harm in leaving it, or not replacing the solenoid, or the levee to the carb?