seat belt location

BeBop138

Input--ideas on location of seat belts---how many inches spacing. Pics of seats show the foot shelf and if you ran them in the space between the seats you lose that area----no big loss.Would have to do some creative cutting of some sort to slot them ---the curved part above the foot rest is metal. Just trying to have a nice and neat install. Looks like you will see them any which way you do it.Maybe go thru gap between the seats down thru the foot rest towards the inside? Pics of what you did?

post-1652-13585369627741_thumb.jpg

post-1652-13585369628511_thumb.jpg

look for a place where the floor is two thickness of sheetmetal. Also check out Juliano's website, they sell anchor plates specifically designed for seat belt attachment. Thicker and stronger than fender washers.

DO NOT be tempted to mount the belts to the frame. You want to be with the body should they seperate in a crash. Don;t wnat the body passing by you while you are strapped to the suddenly stationary frame. If you get my meaning....

http://www.julianos.com/anchor_plate.html

look for a place where the floor is two thickness of sheetmetal. Also check out Juliano's website, they sell anchor plates specifically designed for seat belt attachment. Thicker and stronger than fender washers.

DO NOT be tempted to mount the belts to the frame. You want to be with the body should they seperate in a crash. Don;t wnat the body passing by you while you are strapped to the suddenly stationary frame. If you get my meaning....

http://www.julianos.com/anchor_plate.html

I figured I would have to put an extra plate plus the anchor plate, the sheet metal is one layer there. Thanks for the tip.......Lee

I just used the julianos plates in my 48. Very happy with 1 minor complaint. 7/16s bolts are supplied but came with 1/2 in washers( or really poor fitting ones). So be prepared for possibly buying some better washers.

it would take a bit to test fit the shoulder belt to fit and route proper but I assure I would be up to the task..

Now Tim you should know better than to send an old man to do a young mans job.

Gents,

That woman is deformed!

-Randy

With seat belt laws, and "distraction" laws for using cell phones for talking,

or texting, this girl may fall under the "distraction" category...:eek:

I feel sorry for the guy that would have to sit next to her on a 12 hour

flight to Shanghai...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

more and more later model cars have at least the lap belt part connected to the seat..it is so on the buckets I installed in the bz cp..totally erases the problem of a moving seat and stationary belt..however the seat frame and contact points to the floor board have to be quite robust..the rear anchor will most likely align with the cross brace that ties the inner rockers..did so in my application...this will give you great strength..

it depends on the seat arrangement..s the seat is movable and the belt contact is stationary..bench seats are not that easy to adapt for a movable belt..a stationary long belt is not comfortable...I personally do not care for a slip belt..the shoulder mount and basic retractor is a walk in the park..first decided the attachment of your inboard lap belt

• Like 1

yeah Frankie..I can still see these in my mind..I know the 69 and up through the 72 had these..the shoulder belt stored above and along the headliner..the elastic retainer section of the belts do die in time and look like hang..other than that..they were a part of history for sure..I saw one of these not long ago in a car at the wrecking yard..kinda grinned a bit when I saw it..I had most forgotten about the set up till I saw it in the car..

it depends on the seat arrangement..s the seat is movable and the belt contact is stationary..bench seats are not that easy to adapt for a movable belt..a stationary long belt is not comfortable...I personally do not care for a slip belt..the shoulder mount and basic retractor is a walk in the park..first decided the attachment of your inboard lap belt
If I remember did some of the belts have a retractor for both sides---would this work? Even if you had to modify by re-sewing the ends--then the floor placement would not be as big an issue.......Lee

most of the early front seats had the slip through liners between the seat cushion and the seat back..this allowed the seat to move..the position of the buckle over the belly was determined by the seat position...often the buckle was in an annoying position not like off to the side like todays improved setups..again it goes back to what you have to work with on hand, want to buy and or can tolerate in comfort..I admit to modifying my cars..no secret about it...I never bought them for to keep original..the bz cp has the front and center console metal of the donor Dakota blended into and welded to the original floor..the seat of the Dakota, buckets have the lap connection part of the seat itself..heavy metal here and also super reinforced floor pan..go to a wrecking yard and walk about getting ideal and such;..you may find a nice setup there that would be of service to you..most folks, me included buy my belts here from cars not involved in a crash and have had their interior protected by rolled up glass so no rain has rotten the fabric or rust started on the retractor mechanisms..

post-7-13585369644924_thumb.jpg

post-7-13585369645709_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I'll stop thinking with the "other head"..... :(

Lee, you know that the seat is where you want it to drive, as in comfortable position...I'd doubt you'd move it unless your wife is gonna drive it, so find a spot where the retractor can fit, maybe just behind the bottom back of the front seat and you'd be all set?

Me, I'd go with the slip type belts as they are thinner, mounting area wise...my 40 is a narrower cab than your 50 era's, so side room is an issue for me. I've already got the place set in my head where I want the shoulder belt high attachment at for the front and even the rear seat.