Thermostat/Housing Question

First of all, thanks to Kevin for the "new" head. Talked with him at length this morning and only wished he lived closer. Nice guy! Anyway, the head he gave me had a thermo housing on it and, after dropping the head off at my machinest's, I went by the local Napa to pick up a new thermostat. I knew the housing on Kevin's head looked a little different than mine, but I didn't realize just how different they were until I got home. Not only do they look a little different outside, they are completely different on the inside and the way in which the coolant circulates around inside. Now I'm wondering the history on these. I had always assumed my housing was original to the truck (a B2B) or, at least, the original kind. Now I'm not sure. Check out the photos. The first one shows the thermo and housing Kevin gave me (L) and my original thermo and housing ®. You can see (I hope) that the "inards" are different. The coolant is by-passed differently. Also, the thermostats themselves are quite different. In the second photo its pretty apparent that the radiator hose comes in at a different angle. I'm thinking maybe the black housing came off a car as maybe the radiator sits a little lower. What do you guys think?:confused:

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

I've got a Worthington "Golf Chief" tractor that has that setup. It also had a similar plenum on the intake manifold under the carb. I'm wondering if this setup is for stationary or industrial applications. I needed a new manifold setup so I put the one from the Worthington on my '52. It seems to pull better which is probably due to the increased intake manifold volume. Mike

I believe the thermostat on the left is incorrect for that style housing. They should both have a thermostat like the one on the right. I believe the housing on the left is just a low profile version of the one on the right.

To use the thermostat on the left you need the newer internal bypass head, block, and thermostat housing as seen here.

P9230502.jpg

See http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group7#7-41-04 I think you are looking for Chrysler part 867040 which crosses to NAPA THM 55

I think thats the 180° and a 160° is a thm155 but thats just off the top of my head. Anyway that style is available in both temperatures.

Looked up part #1116777 which is clear on the one on the right.

It was used on models B1B, B1C, and B1D. (1948 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton.)

It was also used on models B2B, B2C up to engine # T172-100902.

Continued through all engine #s for B2D

Harold

Edited by dutchmeister

My engine is number T172*80885 on my 51 B3B. I think when my friend Slick and I were rebuilding our trucks (the first time around in 1980) Slick must have advised me to have the engine out of Clarissa our parts truck. I think it must have been a 1950 truck I also got running boards and fenders from the parts truck. I guess that also explains why I have shortened rear fenders. I also have the thermostat housing on the right, but I'm pretty sure I am using a thermostat I got from NAPA that looks like the aftermarket one on the left. I do have a couple of original used ones and should really give them a chance because occasionally the NAPA one will get stuck, my temperature jump up almost to 212 and then it must get unstuck and the needle starts moving down. It hasn't done that in a long time, but as far as engines overheating I don't like suprises. So another thing goes on "the list".

It is always something,

Hank :)

Edited by HanksB3B

I just ordered a THM155 from Napa. It looks like its a 2-part thermo. In other words, it comes apart. I've also ordered the one that appears to be the part thats silver (the one on the left in my original post). The THM155 appears to be that part plus the copper-colored piece. None of them look like my "original."

Edited by Jim Shepard

None of them look like your original but the napa one is intended to replace it. Basically a modern thermostat with adaptors to make it work.