Flathead A/C

falconvan

it can be both...but for the most part the under the dash unit is the killer...thery are quite large, and irregular shaped...but if you want it is possible to do...I will tell you first off that items of stock nature such as your wipers, fresh air vent and radio will be in your way..you will have to address each of these for certain..I have a P15 Bz Cp right now in the shop that I have installed the entire hearter/AC unit from a 2004 Dodge Dakota..that is why I can say first hand..you going to address all the above..is it worth it..no not really unless you must happen to have a donor available and you got the time and tools to do the job..for simplicity and ease of operation, less invasion and over all retain the looks and fuction of your original parts..the Hurricane 1000 is the better way to go..the are the sinlge best foot print unit for these old Mopars..

That's really sharp looking. I was hoping to do the same; a two groove pulley so the compressor is on it's own belt in case of a failure. Do you know where he got that lower pulley?

Have no idea where he got the pulley.

I got lucky when I purchased my 57 model 230 it had a dual crank pulley because it came from an AC equipped car. The Compressor on it was a monster and it had an offset waterpump.

post-1152-13585369429109_thumb.jpg

post-1152-13585369429686_thumb.jpg

• 7 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

Can anyone tell me who has, or has talked to someone, that has an AC unit on a inline Flathead...

Are you finding that when the compressor kicks in that you need an AC Idle step up on these engines?

I am mapping out the block diagram for my 265 rebuild and for the fuel injection I need to see if I need a fixed or stepped Idle Air Controller.

James.

Don't have it (yet) but it's under consideration.  IMO, your answer would depend on the compressor make/model/capacity.  for instance, and older York or the V2 Chrysler would most surely create enough load to require an idle increase.  One of the late model Sanden or Denso from a smaller auto, probably not.

Maybe one of the aftermarket kit  makers can shed some light on it?

I will be using a larger Sanden. The kit makers are clueless when it comes to engines like this. I need to find someone who has done it and see if it put enough load on an engine at idle...while also on a fluid coupling or torque converter...that is lugs it down and this will require a stepper motor on the intake.

James

Did uou not mention using FI for fuel. The computer can make up for AC on for most brands, no separate idle kick up needed?  If you have chosen brand of FI setup a call??

If using carb(s) a separate kick up is added to throttle linkage any where it fits. One wire tied to the AC compressor on wire will activate. Edelbrock, Holley used to sell ones to fit on the carbs they make but it nothing exotic or expensive, or at least Edelbrock sold one about 8 years ago.

DJ

30 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Did uou not mention using FI for fuel. The computer can make up for AC on for most brands, no separate idle kick up needed?  If you have chosen brand of FI setup a call??

If using carb(s) a separate kick up is added to throttle linkage any where it fits. One wire tied to the AC compressor on wire will activate. Edelbrock, Holley used to sell ones to fit on the carbs they make but it nothing exotic or expensive, or at least Edelbrock sold one about 8 years ago.

DJ

Good point!  If the engine management system chosen has an Idle Air Controller, idle speed will be adjusted for temp, and any engine load change.

6 minutes ago, kencombs said:

Good point!  If the engine management system chosen has an Idle Air Controller, idle speed will be adjusted for temp, and any engine load change.

It does and it does not...

The idle air controller can maintain the idle for an A/C as long as the idle MBT can be mapped DOWN so that you have maintain a torque reserve to deal with it. In some situations it may be beneficial to use a separate non-step soleniod to bump up the idle as opposed to the computer doing it. (Read Chapter 6 in Greg Banish's Fuel Injection Book for more on this).

At this point it would be great to know if anyone has one running so I can see what the load is...

James

2 minutes ago, James_Douglas said:

It does and it does not...

The idle air controller can maintain the idle for an A/C as long as the idle MBT can be mapped DOWN so that you have maintain a torque reserve to deal with it. In some situations it may be beneficial to use a separate non-step soleniod to bump up the idle as opposed to the computer doing it. (Read Chapter 6 in Greg Banish's Fuel Injection Book for more on this).

At this point it would be great to know if anyone has one running so I can see what the load is...

James

The compressor makers can provide the HP needs of their pumps.  Whether they will provide it to an individual request is another issue.  Wouldn't hurt to try.

2 hours ago, kencombs said:

The compressor makers can provide the HP needs of their pumps.  Whether they will provide it to an individual request is another issue.  Wouldn't hurt to try.

Its not the HP need of the compressor, it is a question of the reserve torque of a flathead at idle. The engine would have to be on a load inducing dyno to find out...but...if I can find some one who has done it...they will be able to tell me how much if any RPM drop they are seeing when the AC kicks on.

James