51 Moredoor

falconvan

I was going to have to run 3 relays (fuel pump, ignition, and cooling fan) so I pulled this from a Dakota while I was at the boneyard. This gave me all the relays with fuses and puts it all in one convienient spot. Plus just the one power supply wire off the battery prewires all of the line sides so it'll keep things tidy once I've got it all wired.

post-2128-13585372729634_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585372730208_thumb.jpg

No secret, Cass! Speedway Auto Salvage across from Gateway International Racetrack over in Illinois. 50+ acres, everything very well organized on a flat, level white rock yard, and the best prices around. Not much old stuff but plenty of late model goodies you can repurpose to your needs. Last week I bought 4 steel wheels with tires, a drive shaft, oil dipstick and tube, relay box, and misc wiring for $100.

I got my sway bar finished up today along with wiring up the fuel pump relay and some other misc wiring. I've been sicker that a dog since last week and am just starting to feel human again. I worked in the garage about three hours and I was wiped out. Im off the rest of the week so hopefully we'll make a little better progress tomorrow and Friday.

post-2128-13585372805542_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585372805745_thumb.jpg

I'll tell you what, Cass. This thing kicked my butt. I usually get a cold in the winter and can fight through it but this bugger had me on the couch for four days with fever, congestion, and just being weak. Thankfully I started coming around Tuesday; I felt much better today and was able to get a lot more done.

I finished the underhood wiring and installed the cooling fan and bled the brakes. For some reason one of the back calipers is not getting fluid; I'll have to figure that out. Even still, it's got a good solid pedal. The stock wheels wouldnt fit over the disc brakes so I pulled a set of steel wheels off of a Crown Vic last time I was at the boneyard. I've got a set of full wheel Plymouth hubcaps, i'll just use those and get some fresh rubber. I didnt like the rearward angle on the shifter so I cut it and welded it back together to be more upright. Im real close to a road test; just need to get a driveshaft made and put an exhaust system together. A couple of bummer notes; my cool old tach doesnt work :mad: and Im having a fuel gauge issue. I've got a new VDO 0-90 ohm gauge and a 0-90 ohm sending unit. I dumped about 3 or 4 gallons of gas in the tank and I read 34 ohms on my meter going from the sending unit to ground. I checked it up at the gauge and I read the same from the sensor terminal to ground. But when I turn the ignition on, the gauge goes past full. Any ideas???:confused:

post-2128-13585372815318_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585372815569_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585372815873_thumb.jpg

It looks like my sending unit on the fuel gauge is bad; I ran the gauge through the tests in the book and it shows good. I got all my lights wired and working and swaped out the tach for new one. Now that its working I can do the cam break in as soon as I get some exhaust on. I've got everything to build the exhaust, just going with basic 2 1/2 inch duals with Summit glass packs and pipes out the rear.

post-2128-13585372902259_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585372902542_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585372902733_thumb.jpg

do not overlook the possibility of a faulty ground on the tank..can you read the resistance of the sender and is it variable via the wiper movement?

Tim, that's what's confusing. I've got a ground wire going from the sender body to the chassis. I cleaned a spot on the chassis to ensure a good ground. Reading with a meter from the sender lead to the chassis I read 37 ohms. It's a 0-90 ohm sender so with about 5 gallons of gas that seems about right to me. Now I go up to the gauge and read from the sender terminal to the ground terminal. Same reading; 37 ohms. I thought maybe I bought the wrong gauge and the range was different but it's clearly stamped 0-90ohms on the gauge body. VDO says to test the gauge you should pull the sender wire off the sender terminal on the gauge and the gauge will go to empty, and ground the sender terminal and it should go to full. It passes both tests. Im not sure what to think;it seems to me the gauge is passing the test, I know the wiring is right, not sure what else it could be but something in the sender.

Glad some people are getting a temp. break!

Here in warm central ca. it's been high of 50's, low in the high 20's! NO fog! as usual this time of year. Love the climate changes!??

Back to the fuel gauge reading, is your gauge properly grounded also??

My friends 55 Chebby with brand new Classic Instrument gauges were all Way off on intitial startup, and he was quite concerned as all gauges had electic senders. Upon some checking I found that he had never hooked the ground wire -gauge panel to body. That correctly done, everything was working! Hoping simple, sometimes forgotton in all the changes??

Just one more possibility??

Best to ya,

Doug

Thanks, Doug. I do have a good chassis ground on it. I think next Im going to put the sending unit out of the tank and check it; it's easy to get to in the trunk. The warm temp was short lived; we had 30 degrees and sleet today!

Lots done this weekend; I got the lead pipes and mufflers on and did the cam break in. Other than a leaky water neck on the intake it went smooth; ran for 20 minutes, vital signs all looked good and cooling fan came on at the right temp. I got the water neck fixed and finished some small wiring issues like tail lights, dome lights, instrument lights, and wipers. Im going to get a driveshaft made up this week and should be able to do a short road test down the block by next weekend.:D

post-2128-13585373010115_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585373010878_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing the larger sway bar was to compensate for the heavier engine. Question: Are the sway bars for Chryslers the same as for Plymouths? I will need to replace my 53 Plymouth bar, so would a chrysler bar improve the handling or worsen it?