51 Moredoor

falconvan

It had a standard Mopar ballast resistor intially. The Pertronix rep had me check the resistance across the coil (new, also) and it was 2.4ohms. he said anything over 1.5 ohms did not require a resistor so I bypassed it but still had the same problem.

How about disconnecting the hot lead to the coil and hooking up a wire from the battery to the coil and seeing what happens?  If that fixes it i'd suspect the the ignition switch or wiring is bad.  If it still runs the same, I'd replace the coil.  My Pertronix has run flawlessly for years with no ballast resistor.  Hope this helps!

Edited by ptwothree

I did the slant six distributor conversion today, runs like a champ! Weird problem, for sure. This is a great retrofit, the whole thing with a new ignition module and a rebuilt distributor from OReily's was right at $100 and only took about 2 hours.

The POWER of this forum.

I needed a distributor for my convertible and expressed that to a group of members on chat. Several days later one showed up in the mail with no invoice!

Question: Should I trust such a deal? Could this be a smoke and mirror gift? Well, I am going to use it! When I first got involved in this forum I gave away a short block 230 cu. Since then I have recieve in the mail (sans invoices): one rear bumper, one radio, one distributor, two dash gauges, two dash towers repainted, one set of NEW spark plugs, repaired heat guage, traded old dash gauges for new gauge faces and a whole lot of DILLA gas.

I do not recall who sent me the plugs, it was a new set of six, still in the boxes. Thank you to all!

This may be OT, sorry about that.

Edited by pflaming

I drove this down to the local July 4th show. It ran really smooth but boy does it ever need 2 more cylinders and about 300 more HP! I'm getting info and parts together for a 5.9 Magnum FI swap with a 5 speed and a 8.8 rear this winter. Shiney paint will have to wait.