last outing

Plymouthy Adams

James..my old house originally had a lot of ornate trim but over the years and upgrades etc, siding and what not, storm windows added to the original 7 foot tall windows..it kinda found it left off..I redid the gable ends of the place when doing the reclaimation of the attic to livable floorspace, in doing this I removed the last of the original gingerbread, diamond shakes if you will from these gables..

How did I get drawn into this conversation?

I like to look at pictures and I am just learning to read...

I have seen the insides and outsides of the houses of both James Curl and Tim Adams. Both are done very well. Both contain a bunch of antique, and collectable items. Both could somewhat be called "Gingerbread". But most importanely they both enjoy. I also hope Bob T enjoys his brand spanking new house.

Hi Don. The new house is sort of a challenge since the floor plan is

different and things are in different locations from the old place.

For example, the fireplace is on the East wall of the living room......it

used to be on the West. Some rooms are different sizes and so forth.

Gradually getting things in order. Having some new storage shelves

built in the garage as there were quite a few before. Sure is nice to

not have that 30 mile drive to Anderson each time we go home.

One of these days, when the contractor gets done with all the little

piddly final details, he will start on the new detached garage. I

wouldn't think it should take too long to build, if he and his subs

stay after it. Aside from the Plymouth, other items like lawn mowers

will have to reside there. Of course, there is nothing but rocks and

weeds in the yard right now. Sod is on the agenda. So then I'll have

to get mower shopping. Hope you're doing OK.

Gents,

Allow me to humbly submit an example of the three stages of newness with an analogy to food and the scoundrels those who use such terminology can really be. The analogy shall be presented not with widget nor cornice, as has been suggested prior to this post, but with food; specifically beef and significantly veal. Veal comes from a milk-fed calf and is unlike any other beef because the calf is slaughtered at a tender age and it commands a higher price because it has already cost the rancher about all it will cost him until it grows to weight and profit per pound at regular beef prices for a small calf is a steep loss to the rancher. That's valid but also raised the money-hairs on the necks of many middlemen so a new "veal" was created wherein the calf has had a chance to eat some grass while it was still nursing. This calf is larger and won't command quite the same price as the old veal but most people don't eat veal often enough to tell any difference so it can be moved silently into the system and no one will be the wiser. This went over so well that now any beef that has not worked its muscles much and its meat is still white can legally be called veal. Is this deception? Perhaps we might be offended but there's little the FDA can do about it so no need to worry. They're all calves and are fresh cattle on the outside but one is new, one is brand new, and the first one mentioned is brand-spanking new.

Leave it to someone who's hungry to come up with something like that.

-Randy

Edited by randroid

The most scurilous use of new is "New Edition" as in text books. What a scam, one photo gets atributed, the professor's buddy writes a new forward, or another footnote is assigned, the "New Addition" gets published at the "NEW" price and suddenly the "OLD" book no longer meets course requirements.

The fact that neither of them gets read or used for course work is immeterial.

To add to Randoid's food examples, NEW more colorful package which is bigger but actually hold less. When was the lst time you bought a half gallon of ice cream???

When was the lst time you bought a half gallon of ice cream???

Ice Cream is an excellant example. Last time you could buy a 1/2 gallon was in package size only as the over-run (ammount of air added to the package) greatly excedded the volume by weight. Pints a pound the world around is no longer true.

The grocery store here has been advertising gallon milk. Like gallon is a brand or something. Annoys me they can't say gallons of milk.