46 business coupe build

Daliant.

Thanks for your concern oldodge41, the trunk has the wooden bulkhead separating the trunk from the passenger compartment but fire can still pass through and around the package tray so the plan is to seal those areas with sheet metal (as per NHRA rules) so I can run at the dragstrip without issues, the battery is also going in the trunk so most tracks wont let you run without the trunk sealed off.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little update

Inner quarter panel all prepped for install (sorry the pic is a little blurry)

post-4234-0-03043200-1363904570_thumb.jpg

Finally something solid to hang the fender on

post-4234-0-92480000-1363904662_thumb.jpg

Had to modify the bottom of the fender to fit the modified body

post-4234-0-74885300-1363904830_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daliant.

I never cared for the way the bottom of the '42 through early 49's looked so since about 75% of the bottom 6 inches of the car needed to be replaced anyway I figured I might as well make it look like a '40-41 minus the running boards. It will get some kind of trim or body line across the rocker panel to break up flatness along the bottom of the car.

What are you going to do with the bottom of the doors?

The door bottoms are getting rebuilt / reshaped as well, The driver side door was being used as a mouse house / toilet for about 40 years so that took it's toll, most of the inner structure of bottom was gone along with most of the outer skin so it would have been a lot of work just to put it back to stock. The passenger side door is actually fixable by my standards, it only needed two small patches but it's going to get slimmed down to match the rest of the car. The mice didn't get into the passenger side door and pack it full of seat stuffing laced with that wonderful smelling urine of theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on some of the mechanical stuff lately, got the transmission put it, put new seals and brakes in the rear, ran new fuel and brake lines and some other miscellaneous little tasks. The mustang fuel tank I'm using needed it's filler neck moved so I can attach it to the stock Plymouth neck in the fender, and the stock fuel gauge needed to be modified to work with the ford sending unit. Basically what I did was take the face from the stock gauge and attach it to a slightly more modern gauge, I cannibalized a fuel gauge out of a late 70's Dodge van which works off the same resistance values as a ford gauge (I believe they used the same supplier for gauges back then) so the Dodge gauge plays well with the ford sender. Hopefully I'll be driving it in a few weeks.

post-4234-0-01341300-1365285427_thumb.jpg

post-4234-0-29014400-1365285480_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

What are your plans for the rear fenders??

Same thing as the front, chop off the bulge at the bottom and weld in some new metal. The rear fenders are done, they just weren't on the car in the pictures. I might have to radius the openings for some tire clearance depending on what size tire I get for the rear.

Daliant,

Nice work.  Please keep us in the loop w/pics re your gauge modification.  I'm faced with the same thing myself.

Thanks, I also converted the temp gauge over to electric using the same procedure as the fuel gauge, I tested both gauges before snaking them into the cluster. The extra size of the electric gauge pod makes it a little hard to fit the gauge into the cluster, I had to trim some of the pod away to get the temp gauge to fit. So far they both seem accurate.

• 4 weeks later...