46 business coupe build

Daliant.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daliant; Where did you find that "low-profile" master cylinder?? What year and model is it out of ??? Cass, alias littlemo...:confused:

The master cyl is nothing special, just a late 70's-80's aluminum master out of a mid 80's Dodge Diplomat. The floor wasn't laying in right when I took the picture, the reservoir actually sticks up out of the floor about an inch.

Yep, that's what I ran into. Guess I'll just have to live with it and do as falconvan suggested; build a cover for it. I'm just now considering what floor repairs I need to do, wanted to get the motor-mounts and transmission crossmember in first. I've read several threads on installing floor panels and am following you and falconvans floor repairs closely. Just was seeking some other solution to that M.C. floor clearance problem. Cass, alias littlemo..:eek:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The "new" trunk floor, slightly less rotten as the one I just removed. It still has some of the original paint left on the the bottom, but it has the usual rot near the latch area.

[attach]38758[/attach]

The donor car.

post-7902-13585371083302_thumb.jpg

It might have been a buildable car at one time but the guy I bought it from used it for parts for his project, then I bought the carcass for the rear sheetmetal, it came with 2 good rear fenders and good front clip (not shown in the pics). The floor and rockers were rough and it had no drivetrain or paperwork. It's also giving up its chassis for the coupe.

[attach]38759[/attach]

post-7902-13585371082303_thumb.jpg

post-7902-13585371082815_thumb.jpg

I've been doing a little prep work on the donor pieces: grinding spot welds, de-rusting, etc.. and still have to fabricate the rear body mount piece that runs under the rear part of trunk. Hopefully I can get some work done on it over the weekend.

Hey Cass it's only sheetmetal, if you make a mistake you can always weld it back together. I always get a little nervous before I make the first cut on something but after the initial slice I'm fine.

• 3 months later...

Wow its been a while since I've updated this thread, had to do some work on my truck plus it's been a little cold around here so the '46 got put on the back burner. Anyway here's a little progress, got the "new" trunk floor burned in, fit the new gas tank and rebuilt the sub structure under the trunk latch area.

Here's the pics:

post-7902-13585372925768_thumb.jpg

post-7902-1358537292691_thumb.jpg

did you change the fuel inlet loaction of the Mustang tank?...I put one of these tanks in the wagon....it fit excellent as the Suburban has the recessed spare tire well and was designed for a flat top tank...I did however relocate the inlet for the fuel to match the original position on the tank so to use the orignal fill tube..

The floor in the passenger area is 18 ga galvannealed sheet and that was a little thicker than what I would have preferred to use, I wanted to use 20 ga but 18ga was all the steel supplier had in galvannealed so that's what got used. The trunk floor is just stock Plymouth sheet metal (20 ga), the top of the mustang gas tank becomes part of the trunk floor like Tim said. While I had the trunk floor sections out of the car I rolled a 1/4" step around the perimeter of where the gas tank sits for extra strength plus that how the trunk is on mid 60's Mustangs so I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I still have to roll the edge near the tail panel in this pic

post-7902-13585372984235_thumb.jpg

Using 16 gauge steel is way overkill even for floors but its so thick you probably wont have to roll beads in it for extra strength, the majority of the floor is flat so for making patches it'll work, it's just a bear to bend.

Edited by Daliant.

Please consider this as thoughtful concern and in no way criticism. Maybe this is old info too, but I need to pass this info along. We have redone several old Mustangs which use the top of the gas tank for a trunk floor. No issue unless it is in an accident and the tank is ruptured into the trunk. At that point on a Mustang there is only a seat back to keep potential fire out of the passenger compartment. What we did was to place a metal fire wall between the trunk and the rear seat to help alleviate a possible issue. I am not sure how your car is designed for separation of trunk and passenger compartment but if there is nothing but the seat back I would consider some type of firewall. On my old Dodge without a rear seat the separation is not steel but easily could have a piece put in if it were needed. Glad to see you making progress.