Block heater removal

How do they come out? I've got the nuts off, but it won't budge. I soaked it with WD, hammered on it, heated it up and did it all again, nothing. My manual has nothing about them. The studs have a slot, but neither move, and I don't want the wreck them any more then I already have. Any help?

• 5 years later...

Would I be correct to assume that once you got it out you could have replaced it with a regular core (Welsh) plug?  Or does the hole in the block look different once you get the block heater out?  I'd like to remove mine and replace it with a regular plug.  BTW. ...was it 110volts, 240 volts or 6 volt going to the heater?

Each heater  I have removed came out in pieces.  Fortunately we have no need for block heaters where I am, so I replaced  them with  new core plugs .... P14.... I think the number is. 1 5/8.

Don't use the more familiar cup type.

The best way to put these in is to put the plug in the  hole, put a hammer or broad drift over the plug then strike the hammer with another which tends to flatten the plug, making it expand around its circumference.   

oddly, the block heater that came in my truck was a special head bolt....with a heating element...I should find it and post pics