help! M6 transmission woes! wont shift into reverse!

mackster

Gentlemen! Im begging for your input here...Im getting ready to move this beast. i got a 265 big block flathead six, power steering set up and a M6 Semi-automatic transmission on my 53 desoto. as far as i can tell all of it is stock.

I have three positions on my big arm on the transmission. forward, middle and rear. if i put in on forward or rear the car moves forward. if i put in on the middle it stays put. so the middle is the neutral. the front is low speed and the rear is high speed. (i think) i have a secondary (short) arm that just has one setting and it has a spring to return it to its position. i was under the impression that the short arm while being pulled will allow the car to be in reverse. But im not really sure....any info is apreciate it!!!

Mackster,

You are correct in the shift operation of the M5/M6 hydraulically operated transmissions. So once again If you shift the big lever to the rear of the car you are in forward high range. If you shift the big lever towards the front of the car you are in low forward range-(climbing steep hills).

If you push the rear smaller lever forward and also push the big lever forward you will be in reverse position. Simple.

Also the 50 Dodge fluid Coupling will bolt to your 265. Desoto's didn't come with 265's though- for 1953 a 251ci.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

thats right1 i got a 251!!! i cant believe i forgot that! :o

My Levers look a bit different but i can see how it works..Now I have a bigger problem. i have installed a master cylinder for the brakes right in the way of the second shifting rod. so I might need to install a cable so i can pull the secondary lever forward so i can shift into reverse!!! :o

or maybe i can re-bend the existing one. it seems as if All the second rod is doind is being push up by the primary rod to cause the secondary lever to pull forward... i think i get it now! thanks Dodgebe4ya!!!

• 7 months later...
Mackster,

You are correct in the shift operation of the M5/M6 hydraulically operated transmissions. So once again If you shift the big lever to the rear of the car you are in forward high range. If you shift the big lever towards the front of the car you are in low forward range-(climbing steep hills).

If you push the rear smaller lever forward and also push the big lever forward you will be in reverse position. Simple.

Also the 50 Dodge fluid Coupling will bolt to your 265. Desoto's didn't come with 265's though- for 1953 a 251ci.

Bob

Bob! thank you for your help. Im working on this again this weekend. I have figure out some crazy set up but it seems like its gonna work just fine...thank you for your pictures! they are helping me alot!