Spare tire carrier hardware

I've got all my quotes back from the vendors for teh wingnut, and both carrier bolts. I'm currently deciding what I want to do. One thing I did do on the longer carrier bolt with the mushroomed head was to make it 1" longer than the orignal to account for newer tires being thicker than the old bias ply tires, meaning it might have to be "cut to fit" for your truck.

Would people prefer to have the parts plated or left raw so you can paint/plate yourself? I ask because the longer bolt might have to be cut down and would then expose the base metal.

thoughts?

I'm thinking they could at least be zinc plated to resist rusting. What type of plating would you do? Cad?

Was thinking CAD

I'm ordering the bolts this week, and I will have them CAD plated. Easily painted over and period "correct" for fastener plating.

Nuts will be a bit longer.

One question, for those of you with radials and carriers with original hardware, is there any fit issues with the "thicker" radials?

• 1 month later...

Just to keep you guys up to speed, I will be posting details in a week or two about the bolt and nut sets. They WILL be available the parts are in production right now.

here is the long an short of the deal. Parts are in production right now, I saw the first bolt the other day (hex head one for the wing nut) and should see the first of the other bolt early next week.

Since I commited to 75 of each bolt and wing nuts, I was kinda over a barrel on costs. I THEN found out Dodge Central in MI advertised they were going to reproduce these same parts. So doubly screwed. I contacted them and worked a deal to be their supplier of the parts (25 units at a time), until my parts are gone. Unfortunalty, that means they will also be the ONLY way you'll be able to buy them. I DID make them long enough for radial tires, the ones they were going to make wouldn't be long enough.

SO, all said and done, when these are ready I'll let you all know to order them form them, so PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE buy them from them as they are my only avenue to recoupe my investment. They will cost some few bucks more than I was going to sell, but they will also be able to stand behind the bolts from a liability standpoint.

I thought that I would need one of these sets of parts because I had them take one of my radials and replace the spare with it. They were able to do it so that meant that my rod was long enough.

However, what I did in the past was to take a threaded rod and double nut it on top and then make it long enough to hold the tire, double nutting the bottom end as well. I couldn't install a bolt long enough because the box was still on and there isn't enough room to slip a bolt through the hole with the wood in place. So I solved my problem by cutting the head off and double nutting it.

If you buy this fancy set, be prepared to have your box off to use them because you sure don't want to cut this special head off.

thanks dennis, how about asking me first if this was the case?

The nuts go up on the top of long bolt and the rear bolt will slip thru the hole in the frame, so sorry, buzzz, I think you are wrong. I'm sure the proper mounting procedure for these bolts back when these were built was AFTER the bed went on. I see NO reason why you think you had to do what you had to do if the bolts were installed properly.

I will post a picture Friday showing how this all works properly.

Edited by ggdad1951

Oh my, the head on those original hanger bolts have a cone shaped head to allow them to freely rotate when the wing nut is removed. You see, the bar that holds the tire drops to allow you to take the tire off. By now you realize that I am speaking of the hanger bolt closer to the engine end of the truck. That is the one that I had to replace.

Mine with the original wing nut is still in place and you've taken a closer look than I have.

Dennis

Dennis that cone shaped head actually goes down and the carrier pivots on it. The double nut end attached under the bed.

yes, what Ed said, I tried to say that, but Ed said it better. The half dome goes DOWN, nuts go UP. The wing nut is what you are supposed to remove to get the carrier to drop down. I will have the production of the bolts in hand on Friday, but the wing nuts are still in production. When my truck gets back from touch up paint next week I will post some good close up pictures of the set up.

I did make these bolts extra long so those with radials can use them. I may have made them a little longer than needed, but figured cutting them down to size is easier than trying to make a short bolt longer.

Edited by ggdad1951

the bolts are in, wingnut still in production. The CAD plated one is the original with the spacer for in the frame cross member.

2012-07-20124638.jpg

shot of the "assembly" upside down using my NOS wingnut. Notice plenty of thread to mount everything for the radial. Bear in mind the hex head bolt is threaded thru the bottom of the frame rail, so there will be about 3/4" more thread past the wing nut once tightened.

2012-07-21124657.jpg

• 1 month later...

parts are all in, I'm shipping the fisrt batch to Dodge Central tomorrow. I'll post his advertisment here when he's ready to get these out the door after plating!

I'll be posting a pic of my set all on my truck tomorrow after I get it all installed.

Nice work! (Almost makes me wish I needed them)

Some 25+ years ago I used to live somewhere else. When I didn't find my spare tire carrier, I realized I had left that and some other parts in a parking lot locker. Just for sh*ts and giggles I went to my old apartment complex, walked up to the locker, remembered the combination to the master lock and voila, there it was twenty five years later.

2012-08-30_1515.png

Hank :cool: