Oil hose leaking

John Mulders

Put some WD40 or similar on the threads as its easy if not careful to twist the tubing at either end if it doesn't unscrew easily, make sure you have the right size spanners on the hexes also........main thing is that the tubing doesn't offer much in the way of support so its easy to put more pressure on the whole assembly and twist the tubing........lol......another job I remembered doing from yrs ago........lol...........andyd

Here are some part numbers for a replacement for that hose . Compliments of the late Norms Coupe ; Parts Master F98915 , ETS5722 , Bendix77230 . The Bendix number is a special order item from Auto Zone .

Bendix number matches up to NAPA UP 36961 which is a short brake hose (7.625" long). Looks like the ends are correct for connecting up but the description says "Caution Statement : Do Not Use w/ Petroleum-Based Fluids - Designed Only For Use w/ DOT Approved Silicone Or Glycol-Based Brake Fluids"

• 2 months later...

Not yet addressed this issue :(

Thought I had one with the parts for the car but that turned out to be a regular brake hose.

Quick question:

Would the NAPA hose work ?

Reason I ask is that there is a NAPA on the island and probably can order it via them.

Also , you can't see inside the ends of the NAPA hose, I think it should have a thread but with clip I wonder whether that is the case ?

Alternative would be the Ebay hose, orginal.

But NOS, would that hose still be ok or also dried out?

Thanks !

John

I had one made at a local hydraulic hose place, you should have one on the island some where, I know some folks have use a brake line. Removal and installation are straight remove and replace. Better done on a cool engine. But do change it assoon as possible, when they fail it doesn't take much time to pump all the oil out.

:cool:My local napa dealer just looked at the ends of my old hose and went to his hose fittings area and found some push lock type fittings to match and some rubber hose rated at 200 psi. With some lubricant on hose and fittings worked hard to push the two together made the hose to lenght.

As Don mentioned it did take an adaptor fitting to match up with the flare type fitting on the line to the gauge. This hose has been perfectly fine for 1+ year at this point and i drive my car almost daily and some times we have 100degree weather here in central Ca..

Good luck,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I carefully removed the hose, don't think I put much pressure on the lines.

It came loose on both ends hardly any power.

Then took the hose to a shop who could replace the hose while keeping the ends.

Costs 15$ so not bad.

Then installed it.

But getting the new hose on lines was a bit more difficult as the flexi part of the new hose is shorter and the hose is new.

Thought it went well and I started the engine.

Hose doesn't leak but oil spurted out of the lower line (into the block).

I guess it must have cracked :(

Is this an easy to obtain line (eg brakeline) or am I in a deeper hole now?

John

post-132-1358536980383_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ed, will check with NAPA asap.

Starting was a bit of an issue too, found the problem reasonably fast , the electric fuel pump kept pumping. Loosened the fuel line and there was no gas going into the carburetor.

So added gas in the tank, let the pump do it's job. Started as a charm en sprayed oil like a oil well.....

Should be fine later on today!

John

Hi Niel,

not only with the P15, have had the gas issue with boats as well. :)

Actually the length of the hose has not changed, the metal part (pressed) is bigger compared with the original and therefor the flexible part of the hose is shorter.

Have the line out, rusted through. So not too bad to have that happen now.

John