Brake Lights

davemckay

Hello All:

I have a 47 P15. I would like to convert the tailights to Brakelights as well. I would appreciate any suggestions. Are there sockets out there that will fit the opening in the fenders? Since the wiring is there for the brakelight, I don't see a problem with wiring, but I'm not sure about parts for the lights. She is still 6 volt and I intend to keep her that way.

You need to purchase a dual filement pigtail that will allow you to use a dual filement bulb. This will replace the single pole pigtail curretly in your bulb holder. Typically thes will just slide out and slid in atop the tension spring in the assembly.

You will then need to source the proper bulb. That will be the six volt dual filement bulb with indexed retaining pins. (there is also on with non indexed pins but they won't work in the bulbholder) Then you need to assure that the bulb is inserted in the correct alignment to assure the brighter element is alligned withthe terminal post for the brake light circuit.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d406.html

2556-1h-outlined.jpg

Edited by greg g

I believe my stock p15 bulbs use the non indexed versions.

Seems very likely that a single filament bulb would be non-indexed. I'd have to check my old miniature lamp guide but I'd be surprised to find an indexed single filament bulb as there is no reason for it to exist: The indexing was to assure the filaments (plural) were in the correct position.

Right Tod so when I replaced only the inserts I must have gotten non indexed dual filament bulbs. I seem to remember trying them out a couple times making sure I got the brighter filament in the brake position.