Woodie color and classic anti-squeak

Bob Riding

I am dissassembing my cowl and getting it ready for painting. I'm now working out the dents and learning how to apply body filler where needed (sparingly!)

photo2.jpg

I chose a 1941 Plymouth color - West Point Gold.

image0-001.jpg

scan0022-001.jpg

I think this was the hardest decision of the whole restoration- the stock color was Hampton Beige and with a woodie it's all about the wood and I didn't feel that the beige really enhanced the wood.

When I took the hinges off, I found a very thin anti-squeak material wherever there was metal-on-metal.

photo.jpg

It seems to be a burlap-like cloth - almost an oil-cloth, but very thin.

photo1.jpg

I searched the forum and haven't found mention of it-just the fender and body panel anti squeak threads. A modern replacement would be fine. What have you guys used?

I searched the forum and haven't found mention of it-just the fender and body panel anti squeak threads. A modern replacement would be fine. What have you guys used?

You might be able to use a layer or two of friction tape for that anti-squeak material. Friction tape is basically just tar impregnated cloth. It is available in the electrical supply section of any better home center or hardware store.

Tar paper works, too. I used it right throughout my '38 Chrylser when I did it and it remains squeak free. Friction tape as mentioned would probably be better though. Never thought of that. Maybe I should pull my '38 apart and redo all the tar paper. Not!!!:P

I bought a roll of that anti-squeek stuff from Andy Bernbaum almost twenty years ago, (its actually called "anti squeek", too), haven't checked that site for a long time (I heard on this forum that he sold the shop, but the buyer is continuing the business). I used it to put the Dodge back together way back when, and am still finding uses and will have enough left to do the Terraplane when the time comes. Its not really that thin, just crimped under pressure for all those years. Its a heavy duty weaved cloth. I think its impregnated with some sort of oil or parafin, but its not "soaked".