Another question on 48 Plymouth

Labrauer

I have a 48 Plymouth Sedan with a 218ci engine and the oil filler tube is loose where it goes into the engine. I can wiggle it about an 1/8 of an inch in all directions. One of my oil leaks on the engine is coming from there. My question is there suppost to be an oil ring that goes on it to make a tighter fit or is it just suppost to be a tight fit like it is pressed in the engine? The one on my 48 coupe is tight in the engine like a pressed fit. If it is just a tight fit do you think a muffler shop could expand it a little to make it that way or what else should I do?

Thanks for the replies in advance,

Larry:confused:

Larry. there is no ring or seal there. but i dont see why you couldnt remove it and expand it like you said....i would try anything that will fit to make it wider before i send it out.(like a cone or a pole slightly wider than the tube) or at least try another one first. for Example i would remove the one from your 48 and swap it to see if the other fits good. worst case scenario it will fit right!...I would also try to do a small stress relief and open it more! :) I hope this help you! :)

I took mine to the local hardware store and found a nice thick O-ring that fit over the tube below the flange, then expanded the tube a little bit and drove it into the block using a block of wood. Seals very nicely now!

Marty

As noted just a press in fit. However, as far as the leak goes, the normal level of oil in the pan should be below the level of the tube to block interface, and there should be no pressure there to force oil out. So unless you have a lot of blow by or your vent tube is plugged, that allows the crankcase to build positive pressure, there should be no oil there to leak out other than where you are pouring in new oil.

Edited by greg g