Now I am really F*c*ed

James_Douglas

Thank you George Asche,

Well folks, I just tried to bolt up my nice new transmission. The middle bolt flanges on the transmission are not even close to matching the holes in the bell housing. The uppers are fine and the lowers I think will fit, although I have the lower housing off to make sure that the input spline is getting past the disk ok.

Someone, anyone, tell me that the 3-speed only used 4 bolts...I doubt it as it has 6 bolt holes...

So I have done all this work for nothing, not to mention the $1800 I have spent.

This is going to be one interesting phone call in the AM.

Best, James

Not sure what type of transmission you are using but my 48 ply and 46 pickup both only have 4. Not sure if there are 6 holes in the car tranny though.

James,

Not sure where your problem lies but this bellhousing formerly mated to a 3 speed FD:

P7210025.jpg

Here's the corresponding surface of the M6. Although I have not physically placed one against the other as yet, I don't see a problem.

M6InputShaft.jpg

P7210023.jpg

The whole thing before dismantling:

TransBellhousingPassSide.jpg

Hope the may help.

I just talked to George. He said, Oh yes, thats correct. Just use 4 bolts.

Hummmm....

Anyone out there with the 3-speed or 3-speed with OD, how many bolts is holding your transmission to the bell housing ?

Best, James

PS, This is going from tip-toe shift (M-5) to 3-speed with od. Keeping the fluid coupling.

I know the ODs we have are 4. And I know we had no trouble with mounting an OD behind a fluid drive unit in a 51 dodge. I believe it had the gyromatic before that.

Ed,

If it only uses 4 then maybe I am not F*uc*ed. The fluid drive uses 6. I could pull the thing out and drill and tap the extra holes. My issue is, should I do it as it would require taking the trans back out. Without the floor pan out it is hell getting the thing in.

I guess I need to sleep on it....

James

I think you are good to go. If the OD only used 4 in its intended application it shouldn't matter whats in front of it. The tranny didn't get any heavier between cars.

3 speed on the D24. Lower two bolts go not secure to the bell housing. Only go to lower bell housing cover.

Shel, Are you saying it uses the top and bottom set or the top and middle set ?

On mine it lines up with the top set, does not line up with the 2nd set fro the top, and lines up with the set in the lower bell housing.

James

I believe you answered your own question when you stated going from tip toe shif M-series to the standard 3 speed with OD..just use the lower four..sure George would not have sent you something that would not work..only other suggestion would be standard fluid drive three speed bellhousing swap and do away with the tip toe set up altogether.

Some later trans had 6 holes - because -I think- they were used in various applications- but 4 is all that are necessary. The other holes are probably to be used on some other application

My Asche overdrive bolted right up to my p 15 housing I think it had 6 holes.

Also I just looked at my other 2 overdrives and the bellhOUSING of a 52 and 54 plym Each overdrive has 6 holes and each bell housing has 4 - your fine.

Also be sure and put the gasket on AND HAVE THE PLACE CUT OUT FOR THE SHIFTER ROD TO MOVE INTO

Lou

You guys have pretty well covered it. I'll just add the bolt measurements from a 3 speed OD tranny and bell housing I have here..This is off a short block (218): Tranny has 6 bolt holes. It bolts to bellhousing using the top 4, these are spaced on 4" vertical centers and 6" horizontal. James, if your lower cover is of something sturdy like cast iron, no worries as long as it's all bolted up well. Hopefully that area is different from my standard trans Plymouth which has a lower flywheel cover of sheet metal.

Let us know how it works out. PS, great looking car.

James--I have been watching your postings with great interest as you know.

I think I have come to at least one decision for my '48 coupe--either leave it stock or go with the modern drive train--DEFINITELY NO MODS.

All your travails have made me stressed. I can hardly imagine how you must feel with all these little "unexpected" glitches.

I hope at some point soon you will have overcome all the obstacles, and get to enjoy your beautiful Suburban.

I am driving my 1948 New Yorker, but now the tranny is doing strange things. It was the last item to be rebuilt before I brought it home. So that modern drive train is sounding more and more appealing.

GOOD LUCK

Gary,

At this juncture if I were you and wanted to make some modifications, I would not worry about it as between myself, Don, and Pete we have most of the modification covered and all the secrets are now known.

Now if we had not done, and suffered, everything we have you would be correct; stock or hot rod.

So, if you want to do a slightly modified ride do not worry about it as we have your back.

Best, James

Thoses extra holes are what get people in trouble when they don't put in the gasket that goes between the bell houseing and the transmission. I know I forgot to install that gasket the first time and boy what a mess I had under my car.

The extra holes in this case are through the transmission case. They hit the bell housing about 1/4 of an inch inboard and slightly up from the lower set of holes in the upper bell housing.

The gasket George supplied has all 6 holes in it. In this case if you stock your head up and look at the 2 holes not used all you see it the gasket up against the bell housing.

What holes are talking about and what mess ?

James

What holes are talking about and what mess ?

James

I think he was talking about the holes in the case that get covered by the gasket that are the shift rails and gear shafts, not the bolt holes. I didn't have a gasket between my tranny and bell housing at first, and had a helluva leak. I pulled the tranny back on extra long bolts, put the gasket in place, and got it back together. No more leak.

The arrows in this pic are four of the bolts holes, and the circled spots are the other holes in the case that can leak without the gasket.

Pete

trannygasketholes.jpg

Officer Obie does the annotation. It's what he does since he retired from the Stockbridge Police Force.

Walk right in, it's around the back just a half a mile from the railroad track.....

Obie looked at the seeing eye dog, and then at the

twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows

and a paragraph on the back of each one, and looked at the seeing eye dog.

And then at twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with circles

and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one and began to cry,

'cause Obie came to the realization that it was a typical case of American

blind justice, and there wasn't nothing he could do about it, and the

judge wasn't going to look at the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy

pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each

one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us.