How to remove the MC's internal residual valve?

Ydnubla1

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to finish up Charlie's front disc brake conversion on my '46 Deluxe and I've been reading on here that my binding calipers might be the result of the stock internal MC residual valve.

The questions I have are if I can get to it without removing the MC completely, and what exactly from the attached diagram am I removing? Would it be the part labeled "Valve assy"?

Thanks in advance for helping the new guy.....again.

Aaron

post-7920-13585367434826_thumb.jpg

Yes it is the part marked Valve Assy. It will cause disc brake calipers to drag.

Its function is to maintain a little pressure on the brake system so the brake cups seal tight to the wheel cylinders. Since 1975 or so they have made the cups in such a way that they don't need this pressure. Not sure if this is on all replacement cylinders or just the later model ones.

• Like 1

You can do it with it in the car. Remember it has a spring so back it out easy as the parts at the other end of the spring need to stay together. The gasket may need to be replaced as well.

You may want to think about a 2 pound residual valve for the line going to the front.

• 2 years later...

Hard to believe I asked about this almost exactly 3 years ago. Long story short (And several moves later), I'm with the car in AZ and about to remove the valve today. Really hope this resolves the issue. I've been dying to get back to working on the car.

years ago the residual valve used to be in the threaded port and a self tapping screw would be started into it and then popped out with a pair of screwdrivers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering dual MC for sure. I've been looking at the one HERE, but when I called the guy immediately started to talk me out of it. Said that it would not work well with the Rusty Hope conversion. 

Has anyone any feedback on this MC? I'd like to go the factory mount route if possible.

I'm considering dual MC for sure. I've been looking at the one HERE, but when I called the guy immediately started to talk me out of it. Said that it would not work well with the Rusty Hope conversion. 

Has anyone any feedback on this MC? I'd like to go the factory mount route if possible.

Read this thread----> http://p15-d24.com/topic/20422-krap/?hl=krap