48 Desoto Project thread...

thrashingcows

Super nice car! Love it! some side pipe you have there :cool:

When i saw what you did to that air box... now i know what's missing under my dash :rolleyes: 

guess i have to find me one sooner or later! where did you buy the rubber seal for the cowl vent?

Super nice car! Love it! some side pipe you have there :cool:

When i saw what you did to that air box... now i know what's missing under my dash :rolleyes:

guess i have to find me one sooner or later! where did you buy the rubber seal for the cowl vent?

Than you for the kind words.  I got the new seal for the lower door from steele rubber.

• 1 year later...

Dragging this one back to the top.

Just got Fernando home after a year or more in hibernation.  Will be trying to re-wire the entire car from front to rear with an after market E-Z wiring harness....we'll see how that goes. ;)   And hope to get all the new glass installed, along with new window and door seals.  Adn I'm sure there will be many other projects along the way.

• 2 months later...

I'm doing the door garnish mouldings and vent windows now.  Have the mouldings stripped and will begin priming them soon. I'll use Grain-It to wood grain them.

Did you ever remove your front fenders?

The jack stands have have served you well and are safe?

• 1 month later...

Finally getting off my lazy butt and working on the Desoto.  I am working on the 12V conversion wiring system, but needed to find a place to mount the fuse panel.  I did not want to make any new holes in the car, so I had been looking and thinking about things for several weeks to come up with a game plan.  Well yesterday was the big day. 

I'm only going to be using the passenger side heater, so I had lots of room left over on teh drivers side from the dual heater set-up.  So I knew I was going to be mounting the fuse panel in that location.  I ended using the original support bracket for the DS heater as my main mounting point.

PICT0004_zpshjbmz4s4.jpg

Changed the bends in the bracket to coincide with where I wanted the fuse box panel to sit.

PICT0005_zpsxvgnuktx.jpg

Then I pulled out some scrap stainless I had from behind the shed.  Cut a 6" x 6" square and then drilled and tapped a couple holes for mounting the fuse panel.  Put a couple long screws in from the back side, with washers and star lock washers.  Next was a trial fit of the fuse panel on the new support panel.

PICT0001_zpsrpfmmoze.jpg

PICT0002_zpssudjsjkz.jpg

Then once I knew the fuse box panel was fine I had to get it mounted up in the car.  Couple holes, build one small upper bracket off the E-brake mounting bracket, couple nuts and bolts and it was all in.

Ready to go in....

PICT0007_zps59l7bcbo.jpg

All mounted up....

PICT0009_zpsvnag0ndk.jpg

Hope to have the fuse panel in and wiring strung to the approriate areas in the next week or so.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I started stringing the wiring through out the Desoto the last few days.  First I had to sort it and wrap it. I like to use hockey tape to wrap my wiring, cheap and looks good IMO.

PICT0026_zpsb2jaieeo.jpg

Had to organize it, and wrap it up and tape up as many of the wires so it would have less things to get caught as it was fed throughout the car.

PICT0027_zpsbvrxbbul.jpg

PICT0029_zpspcd7lidk.jpg

I think there is going to be enough wire....;)

I first mounted up the fuse box, then tried to tie the new wiring to the old wires to drag them up through the pillar post on the drivers side.  That did not work since the old cloth wire kept catching on things inside the pillar.  I eventually had to cut the old wiring and carefully drag it out of the pillar.  Then had to feed a stiff wire down through the pillar and tape the wiring to it and drag it back up and through.

PICT0034_zps0jb6tve6.jpg

PICT0033_zpsc2g54any.jpg

And all strung up above....

PICT0035_zpsglueft3v.jpg

PICT0036_zpsv5vtzdo5.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well haven't been updating on Fernando regularly...just too many projects, on too many vehicles etc. 

So here is an update from the last few months...

I've slowly been working on the re-wire job.  Not having much fun to tell you the truth, so hasn't been high on my "to do" list.  I get easily side tracked on other projects.  But I have finished the front and rear wiring. 

I was able to re-use most of my OEM ligth fixtures, just needed some new guts.  I dug into my box's of old misc mopar wiring to help in that project.

Box of misc....

PICT0007_zpsqsviyyph.jpg

Old vs new rear taillight wiring and connections...

PICT0001_zps5nksd5kn.jpg

PICT0006_zpsywu1hzut.jpg

Then I bought a whack load of new 1,2,3,4,6 and 8 terminal plugs for my wiring connections.  I crimped on the new terminal ends, then solder each one, di-electric grease and then shrink tube. 

PICT0033_zpscjjx7bl8.jpg

PICT0034_zpsejspicyq.jpg

Once the main wiring harness was through the firewall I had to sort it all out.  Three bundles....Front end lights, turn signals etc, then engine compartment wires, and finally all the wires that are not needed...elect fan, AC compressor, etc.

PICT0011_zpsjxl3ryxv.jpg

Then on to the front end wiring....

Removed the old headlight wiring, and made up all new harness....

PICT0020_zpsssvgdhre.jpg

PICT0021_zpsac4apjoo.jpg

Then the same for the front turn signal assemblies....

PICT0023_zpsogcrfuqw.jpg

PICT0024_zps4lhcj9xf.jpg

And all wired up neat....

PICT0026%202_zpswlpss94b.jpg

As well as a new set of horns...well used from a 80's Dodge van I believe....

PICT0028%202_zpsy6kalheq.jpg

• Like 1

And I installed all new gauges in the OEM dash...except the speedo.  I used Auto meter (Autogage) units, these were your typical 2"-ish gauges.  I had to pry them out of their housings, but eventually got them all out.

PICT0016_zpsxrdptux1.jpg

Then had to figure out how to mount them to the OEM cluster...without damaging the cluster.  That was my main concern.  Got them in, not pretty form the back, but think they turned out OK from the front.

PICT0018_zpsfa11o1df.jpg

PICT0020_zps0qjaflur.jpg

PICT0023_zpsqyjr2rlo.jpg

I have also had the doors, trunk and ignition re-keyed!  And I have ordered new steering column turn signal assembly, headlight switch, heater switch and a few other pieces to make the conversion to 12V a little easier.

That should bring things about up to date. ;)

• Like 1