even if you are not a doctor take a look! :O

mackster

Ok so today's task was a rather easy task that turned out to be not so fun! I replaced my belt due to the power steering set up was not level due to the belt being too short. it sat sideways....so i got a longer belt and a new V8 bracket that i cut to fit. I noticed that the radiator was much more closer than what i remembered it. i have about 1/8" clearance. well the belt could not be removed without first removing the radiator. so i did. i reset the radiator and i bolted it down with new hardware and it looks ok. I try to set the I go n try to close the hood and it hits on the radiator top. I might just removed it but im sure it help the engine to stay cool. the radiator is not the orignal. so im going to replace it with another once i get on the road! on the mean time this might just need to do.

I tried to get it started today. it cranked like a champ but never did anything but that. i dont think im getting spark. i pour some gas down the throat of the carb and if i have voltage cranking and gas then i must not have any spark.....

A couple of things jump out at me when looking at the pictures.

First, is that a double belt pulley on the generator? If it is it looks to me, and I may be wrong, that the belt should be in the back groove. It may just be the way the picture was taken but that belt does not look like it is lined up with the water pump pulley.

Second, what's up with the upper radiator hose? It looks like it has collapsed where it comes out of the radiator. Not good as that will restrict flow.

You mentioned running the car with the radiator out. If you intend on running it for a VERY short time, like less than a minute or two, that will at least allow you to see if the engine runs okay. However, if you are planning on driving it around without a radiator, not a good idea, then be ready to do some major work on the engine afterward.

Check to see if you have any spark. The easiest way is to pull a spark plug, reconnect the plug wire, ground the plug housing somewhere on the block and crank the engine. Look at the plug where the electrode is while cranking - there should be spark.

If no spark then I would check the points next.

Joe

It must be the picture. it does line up properly with the outside pulley. The hose is junk! and so is the radiator. but it works until i get them replaced. It has been like that for a long time it works but it looks nasty and i agree i need to replace it but will probably do both together. i got it to start and it runs but the starter keeps engaging every four seconds. i cant get it to just crank it and uit it. i hasnt been started for over 3 years so it might be sticking i guess. I will look into that next weekend! :)