1953 desoto/plymouth steering wheel interchange?

hillbilly4008

Hi all, I've got a '53 DeS with the nice ivory steering wheel. Problem is, mines not so nice. I'm looking for a replacement wheel that I can still use my DeS horn ring on. I really love the looks of that Ivory wheel.

While Googling various mopar steering wheels I noticed that the '53 Desoto and the '53 Plymouth have a similar outer wheel. Does anyone know if this is really the case?

I hope to go to a local private yard tomorrow, the owner says he has 4 '53 Desotos, and 3 '54s. You would think that with 7 total cars with the same steering wheel I would have good odds of finding a decent one, but honestly I've never seen a stock '53 Desoto wheel thats not cracked or disintegrated down to the steel.

Any tips would be great.

neither have I! all Desoto steering wheels were just a bare rod. I saw one on Ebay totally redone and they wanted $600 dollars! i cant swing that for a steering wheel! any who! I hope you find one in the yard for a cheap price!

It looks like that Dodge wheel will bolt up fine, but the wheel itself is different. Doesn't look like my horn ring will work with that wheel.

It doesn't look like i'll be able to get in the yard today as I hoped. Our schedules don't mesh. I really was hoping to get in there this weekend as I have my car on my lift with no steering wheel on it, and no way to move it. I really don't want to put the original back on if I dont have to

I made it into the private yard today. The owner stood me up, but luckily his son was there to take me in. He didn't know exactly where the Desotos were so we just walked the yard looking for suitable steering wheels. We did find 5 out of 7 '53-'54 Desotos, every one had a steering wheel that made mine look good. (Mackster, they made you original one look like GOLD) There was a '54 Firedome convertible in there, that must've been a beautiful car in its day. Shame.

Eventually I found a steering wheel from a '57 Plymouth Savoy with the "square" horn ring. I haven't tried putting it on the '53 yet, but I hope to god it fits for the time and money I have spent getting it out of the car.

The outer wheel is totally black and all the paint is gone. It leaves a nasty black film on your hands, what the best trick to prepping this for paint?

I made it into the private yard today. The owner stood me up, but luckily his son was there to take me in. He didn't know exactly where the Desotos were so we just walked the yard looking for suitable steering wheels. We did find 5 out of 7 '53-'54 Desotos, every one had a steering wheel that made mine look good. (Mackster, they made you original one look like GOLD) There was a '54 Firedome convertible in there, that must've been a beautiful car in its day. Shame.

Eventually I found a steering wheel from a '57 Plymouth Savoy with the "square" horn ring. I haven't tried putting it on the '53 yet, but I hope to god it fits for the time and money I have spent getting it out of the car.

The outer wheel is totally black and all the paint is gone. It leaves a nasty black film on your hands, what the best trick to prepping this for paint?

I hope it fits just right!

Hillbilly......it will be ineresting to see if and how that 57 wheel works on

your car. If others will work, and they have a horn ring, then you could

probably swap the whole works.

As I recall from not too long ago, Moose on here rebuilt his steering

wheel on a Chrysler. I think he gave an account of his process and

the material he used.

I know I saw a local 47 Plymouth they had put the comlete 47 Dodge

wheel and horn ring on---seemed to fit in just fine.

Found this link to a previous thread with some pics..... http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=25882&highlight=steering+wheel

Good luck.

Edited by BobT-47P15