Any pictures of upholstery for 1940 dodge D14?

1940_dodge

Looking to get some interior pictures of a D14 sedan, the upholstery is completely shot and I wanted to get an idea of what the original looked like in order to recreate it.

This is what I have so far.

Tv6UGl.jpg

Edited by 1940_dodge

Sometimes you can find a person on ebay selling the kind of car you

are looking for. Some ads contain several pictures including the

interior. Of course, you have to have some idea what the interior

should be, because some sellers think their actually reupholstered

vehicle is "original" when it's not. If that makes any sense......

I've got a 40 Dodge D-17. Still all original. Car has been the family all 70+ years. Tell me what you what to see and I can send you some pics.

I've also been copying every 40 Dodge pic I find on the internet over the last year for reference. Send me a separate email. Thanks.

Rick

I've got a 40 Dodge D-17. Still all original. Car has been the family all 70+ years. Tell me what you what to see and I can send you some pics.

I've also been copying every 40 Dodge pic I find on the internet over the last year for reference. Send me a separate email. Thanks.

Rick

All pictures of the interior you can get, the more the better. I really appreciate all of the responses so far.

Hello, I'm picking up my new baby, a '40 Dodge D-14 four door. Someone redone the interior however, it's very true to the original. I can supply some photos of that if that helps.

Now, from the other '40 Dodge owners here, anyone have a spare glove box button/latch? There's just a gaping hole in my glove box door. Also, some knobs for the headlight switch and throttle. And if anyone has a spare driver side dash corner trim, I'm your customer. She could use some sun visors, which I'd believe to be the same as the D-24 or later model Plymouths.

=Rob

Now, from the other '40 Dodge owners here, anyone have a spare glove box button/latch? There's just a gaping hole in my glove box door.

=Rob

Good luck with that one. The original glove box button for my D14 is plastic. I have yet to see a good used one. You could switch to a lock type latch which are all metal. I have purchased one but just cannot figure how to install it. I think I am still missing some parts for it but haven't seen another to check. From what I have seen the '40 is different than the 46-48 locking type.

Phil

Good luck with that one. The original glove box button for my D14 is plastic. I have yet to see a good used one. You could switch to a lock type latch which are all metal. I have purchased one but just cannot figure how to install it. I think I am still missing some parts for it but haven't seen another to check. From what I have seen the '40 is different than the 46-48 locking type.

Phil

Oh, that's interesting, I've seen some that are all metal, and there isn't a close up photo on the net that I can see it up close. I did see one on eBay and the buy it now price is $60. I don't want to spend that much for one small little part. But, I may have to.

Here's a photo of the car where it sits right now. It hasn't been out side for very long so, I can't wait to get it into my garage!

6424054601_a6fd33d7f6_b.jpg

Here's an interior shot, mostly dirty but you can see what's missing.

6424054617_514f791742_b.jpg

It could use the sun visors, a head light knob, a throttle knob, the corner trim piece of the lower left, the rear view mirror and the center stainless trim on the outside of the windshield. She drives perfect, mechanically strong great! 47k original miles and an original CA car.

=R

Wow, the chrome and paint appears to be great shape. Lucky you.

I've always been curious about the "red stripe" on the bumper guards that Dodge used. It is on some cars and not others. It is then repeated on the dash on some cars but not others. On the "Special" it appears to have been been used in these spots. I've also seen it on the hood ornament.

I hope I am not hijacking your tread but I have these instructions that came with my glove box lock that may help Phil. Have fun with your 40.

post-7095-13585366846249_thumb.jpg

post-7095-13585366846808_thumb.jpg

Wow, the chrome and paint appears to be great shape. Lucky you.

I've always been curious about the "red stripe" on the bumper guards that Dodge used. It is on some cars and not others. It is then repeated on the dash on some cars but not others. On the "Special" it appears to have been been used in these spots. I've also seen it on the hood ornament.

I hope I am not hijacking your tread but I have these instructions that came with my glove box lock that may help Phil. Have fun with your 40.

Ah Ha!! Thank you. Thank you. Now it makes sense. I am missing the spring retainer. Now to find one somewhere!! Maybe I could make one up. I may just give it a try.

Phil

Phil

In the glove box button instruction sheet that was posted by 40Dodgesurvivor it says that the button is Tenite. "Tenite is a cellulosic thermoplastic first created in 1929 for use in the manufacture of consumer goods." Yup, plastic.

Phil

• 6 years later...
On 2/21/2012 at 5:51 PM, 1940_dodge said:

Looking to get some interior pictures of a D14 sedan, the upholstery is completely shot and I wanted to get an idea of what the original looked like in order to recreate it.

This is what I have so far.

Hey guys, long time no post.

I've made it a mission to do as much research about the '40 Luxury Liners as I can.

So, 1940_dodge, how has your restoration go over the last 6 years or so?

Here's things to know about the '40 Dodge D-14, that I've learned.

Early production models, from what I've seen have plated glove box doors. The D-17 models were less expensive and mostly had wood grained glove box doors along with a metal latch, with a plastic button and, then midway through the '40 production year, I believe the D-14's went with the wood grain glove box doors. Also, the plating on the dash trim was originally nickle, not chrome. And, the painted details in the grooves along the bottom trim of the dash I've seen on original examples was a very, very dark red/brown color, which I believe was one of the color options for that year called "Regal Maroon." Tthe horn button was painted a combination of light tan, with regal maroon rings as well.

The door panels had a stamped upper pattern that mimicked the hood trim, of the three groups of hash marks, with an upper and lower line. The front and rear bench seat had a centered pleats with upholstery buttons, and at the base of the bench seat, in the rear seat, had a group of three or 4 ribs that went the length of the back bench seat. Options were quite extensive for this model year where one could order stainless trim for the door panels and such.

Do you have the front bumper guards and rails? If not, I have a set I need to sell. Let me know, I can provide pictures.

Here's some photos of an interior from a late production '40 Dodge D-14. Someone painted it a two tone green, which isn't correct but the interior is original, along with some uncommon options not seen most '40 D-14s I've seen.

A 1940 Time Capsule.

Original mohair.

By the way, the garnishes on this car should be wood grain.

Hope this helps!

Interesting to read this thread as I don't remember seeing it before and comparing some of the things on the US D14 and D17 cars......mines an Oz assembled D15D, which is stamped onto the top of the firewall........... the last "D" I understand to refer to it being a D15 Deluxe..........well at least thats what I understand it to be, although I have an Oz sales brochure and it mentions that the D14 sold here has the rear seat centre armrest and adjustable front door armrests together with the 3 interior courtesy lights  yet the D15 Deluxe  description does not indicate that these items were supposedly on the D15 Deluxe.........the upholstery patterns on my car were completely different to what you guys appear to have, my car was originally full leather seats and front door armrest with cloth used on the doors and a felt hood lining...........my dash and window garnish moldings were what I thought was a faded pale grey/brown woodgrain when I bought the car in 1971.......I painted the dash body colour and chromed the front & rear window moldings.............my glove box lid knob is that plastic material, originally it was a cream, pale yellow cracked and crazed material, I painted it black.........all the Oz 1940 D15 Dodges I have seen have had the same trim & upholstery design as mine and all those D15's have been like mine in that they use the Plymouth fenders, Plymouth hood, headlights,  tailights & bumpers ...........I have only ever seen one D14 Dodge here in Oz with the triple horizontal fender stampings, short hood, Dodge headlights tho' Plymouth tailights and "V"'d Dodge style front bumper.........I cannot remember what upholstery the D14 here had but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same as the D15's, leather & cloth.............andyd       

img004 (14).jpg

img004 (12).jpg

img004 (16).jpg

IMG_1379.JPG

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

Andy, it's interesting that it seems only in the Oz built cars, they had a split rear window on the '40 while in Canada and the US, weren't. 

Fun to see the differences.

Here's an images from the US sales brochure.
Notice the illustration of the steering wheel. :)

1940 Dodge-15-16

Yeh...... the Oz 1940's used a new body shell that TJ Richards the Oz body builders came out with in 1939 which ended up being the same body shell used here till 1948 with the twin rear windows...........I've not ever seen that steering wheel used here in Oz, although its pictured in the black & white pic which was the last page in the Oz sales brochure....the original Oz Dodge steering wheels are very similar to that used in US Plymouths but with a horn ring and mine was certainly cream in colour but very cracked and crazed .........note also the Dodge headlights, fenders and you can just make out the "short" Dodge hood but the Plymouth bumper is used............and the interior pattern is completely different to the US one..........the pattern shown on my cars door is an almost exact copy of what it originally had except that when we did the upholstery, I had my Mother use some 1/2" thick foam in the doors, the original pattern was copied but the original door cards were almost flat overall with just the stitching showing that "decending" pattern...........on my car the inside door handles are not original , the originals used a cream plastic feature and knob on the winders but I have never seen even one that looked decent enough to use, I used these handles which are 1948-52 GM Holden handles and in Oz are quite common & easy to find..........tho' they do have a chrome escutcheon plate from the local plumbing supply to add a little bling, thats the "ring"  between the handle and upholstery..........lol..............regards, andyd