4 speed transmission question

Jeff Balazs

• 2 years later...

Jeff,

I removed Plate 21-8 (which I suppose was supposed to be Plate 21-3) Either you are looking too hard at mortise & tenon joints (or smoking one). I've also linked Plate 21-4 as I don't know which 4-Speed you have.

Plate21-3.jpg

Plate21-4.jpg

For images larger than our P15-D24 host allows (wonder how many terrabytes facebook has) you need to have some sort of "cloud" host. Probably like most of us (Reg taught me) I use PhotoBucket. I scanned your page, opened in in PhotoShop to crop and rotate it a little, saved it then opened it in Acrobat Pro Extended which allows me to convert it to a jpg which produces a smaller file format. (why the more premier program Photoshop won't do that, I don't understand but probably is a marketing thing).

In our forum, you then use the little yellow icon that looks like a stamped envelope with a mountain drawn on it to "link" the image (hosted by PhotoBucket) to our P15-D24 site.

I need more Coffee,

Hank

Hank,

Is the top transmission 4 speed spur type transmission a NP 420? Mine looks just like that and I'm having difficulty identifying it.

Thanks,

Travis

Travis;

The upper plate shows the spur gear type 4 speed. Easiest visual clue is the angled drain plug.

The drain plug on the later helical gear 4 speed is level with the bottom of the transmission. I believe the changeover to the helical type transmission came sometime in 1951 or early 1952.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the information. Is that a New Process or Warner transmission? The reason why I ask is because the transmission repair manual on dodgepilothouseclub.org says Warner makes the spur gear but my transmission has an NP stamped on the case and top.

Can the spur gear also be called "up to" or "after?"

Thanks again for all of your help in identifying my transmission, 

Travis

All the USA dodge truck 4 speeds including spur gear and later syncro type were New Process transmissions in the 1/2 through 1-1/2 ton trucks.

Bob

My case casting number says that it's a Warner. The casting number is C-38661. I'm very confused as the casting numbers say Warner but the logo says NP. Did NP make a spur gear?  

The reason why I need to identify the transmission is because I want to replace the gaskets, seals, and bearings.

Travis

Try resizing your pictures and posting them.

I think Bob knows these about as well as anyone. If it has a NP logo then it is probably NP. Yes they made spur type trannies. As far as I know there were only the 2 different 4 speeds available for the light trucks.

The later NP helical gear 4 speed in my 52 B-3-C has a casting # C-88221.

Jeff

It sure looks like what you have is a NP spur gear 4 speed transmission. I am not sure what the model number is or what specific info you would need to order parts with. Perhaps someone who actually has one of these can walk you through the process?.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Jeff