Replacing a Water Pump

carmen142

Ok Guys

Been getting a lot of helpful idea on my radiator for my 41 P12 sedan and I am pretty sure what direction I will be heading.

Now how about the water pump. I would like to get the original one rebuilt, put then I would have to grease it every so aften. This means more work and less fun time driving.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Carmen

Ok Guys

Been getting a lot of helpful idea on my radiator for my 41 P12 sedan and I am pretty sure what direction I will be heading.

Now how about the water pump. I would like to get the original one rebuilt, put then I would have to grease it every so aften. This means more work and less fun time driving.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Carmen

I could see you wasting at least 3-4 minutes of driving time every year while giving the water pump a squirt of grease. What are your thoughts?

Thanks Don

I know it would only take me a few minutes of my time, truthfully that is the way I am leading. My real main concern was what is best for a newly rebuilt engine. I know that those water pumps worked on those cars when they were first made way back when, but I wonder that if they had a seal water pump then would they have used it. Thats all.

I have a 1944 MB Jeep that I restored and still have as well as a 1954 Dodge M37. I drive either one of them at least 2-3 times a week during good weather, but never ever in the snow. I had the engine and transmission rebuilt on both of them and they run great.

But this car has stole my heart and I only want what is best for her.

Carmen

PS. Looked at some of your vidios I love them. I really like that gas tank shaker.

If you can get a rebuild pump with the sealed bearing then I woud go with that as my first choice else the one with the zerk fitting to pur in water pump grease is my next choice.

remember that if you over grease them then you can blowout the seal and then you get the ater leaks. so a little dab will do ya.

Its up to you to pick

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I think the impeller from the newer pumps is also more efficient giving more flow. My old greasable pumps impeller looked like a two bladed paddle whereas the new one looked more like a modern centrifugal impeller.

There are some things that time has improved, water pumps are one such animal.......if you like grease then rebuild the original pump.....personally I think the lack of even one grease nipple is a big improvement, not only in the reduction in greasable points but in the small reduction in weight of the grease nipple............lol..........also I'm a lazy bastard...........lol..........I replaced the pump on the 41 Plymouth and didn't miss the grease nipple.........lol............andyd

I'm running Napa pumps on both my flatheads. The one on my truck is a rebuilt one and the one on my car is one of the new ones with the better flow and sealed bearing.

Coolant flow in an engine cooling system is controlled more by a restriction device (commonly called the thermostat) than by the water pump. There is such a thing as too much flow. If coolant flows too fast it does not stay in the engine long enough to become saturated with heat and the engine will overheat. Ask any ford flathead owner about controlling flow on an engine with two water pumps.

Who here has documented proof that there is increased flow with some new water pumps? Simply saying your engine runs cooler is not documentation. Show me a pump curve indicating gallons per minute over an RPM range for both the old and new pumps for documentation. If these newer pumps flow more then how did any engines survive until the new pumps were invented?