Desoto engine removal....

thrashingcows

Well I finally got around to pulling the motor out of ol' Fernando this weekend. Been slowly pulling things apart getting ready for the big day...well today was the day.

Of course there were a few problems, couldn't get the nuts to budge on the exhaust pipe to manifold....They were put in from below and then double nutted on top! I had to cut the heads off from below and then pound them up until the double nuts hit the manifold....even then it wouldn't pop off. Once we started pulling the motor I was able to beat it free!!

Then the hood would not come off. The drivers side captured nuts were all loose and spinning, then I had one that the had forced a bigger bolt and nut into...I had to carefully cut the head off that one and beat it up into the hood area. Once the hood was off we could get to work.

PICT5683.jpg

Ready to pull..

PICT5684.jpg

We just had enough boom length on the hoist to clear the front end....and it was sketchy at best...but got it out.

PICT5686.jpg

Now it's clean up time and get ready for the new motor and tranny...

PICT5688.jpg

And now I could really see the carnage from the original motor lost #1 cylinder!!

When #1 let go it also took out #2 as well. The crank is gouged and done...no salvaging like I had hoped.

PICT5694.jpg

PICT5695.jpg

It also broke the cam apart, and one piece went down, around and up into cylinder 3/4 area adn got jammed up and punched a hole in the block! I was lucky that the cam piece was still there and I was able to wrestle it out...now I have a cool cam carnage paper weight!!

PICT5690.jpg

The fuel pump got beat up as well....

PICT5702.jpg

So.............apart from a new set of bearings, straightening a couple of conrods, welding the cam back together and riveting some sheetmetal scoops onto the side of the block to assist with the more modern "air-cooling" what other minor impediments do you expect in getting this fine example of Walter P's engineering running by the end of the week?................lol..........oh.....and I reckon that fuel pump arm is eminently straightenable...............lol...........btw what sort of bang did it make.........regards & best wishes........lol.......andyd

Hi brain

Maybe u can help me,

Is it posible to take a look to the rear side of our engine?

There must be a drain hole for the rear camshaft bearing oil.

My problem is : i thing my drain hole is clocked so the oil takes the way over the valves drain hole.

The problem is,there is the draft tube near.

So the oil came out the draft tube.

I dount want to open the oil pan again,if there is no way to see the drain hole.

But maybe u can see the hole, i can try to open it....

I think its easy to take a look if the engine is out from the car....

Thank u and sorry for my english,i am german:o

Olaf

Hi brain

Maybe u can help me,

Is it posible to take a look to the rear side of our engine?

There must be a drain hole for the rear camshaft bearing oil.

My problem is : i thing my drain hole is clocked so the oil takes the way over the valves drain hole.

The problem is,there is the draft tube near.

So the oil came out the draft tube.

I dount want to open the oil pan again,if there is no way to see the drain hole.

But maybe u can see the hole, i can try to open it....

I think its easy to take a look if the engine is out from the car....

Thank u and sorry for my english,i am german:o

Olaf

Olaf....I'll try and see if I can figure out what's going on back there, and let you know.