Check your fan

Adam H P15 D30

So I took the 49 Dodge out for a drive. When accelerating onto the freeway, about 4000 rpm, I heard a loud bang, clank and metal parts bouncing off the road and the floor board :eek: Then a really bad vibration as I was pulling over. My first thought was the engine just let go. :mad: As I came to a stop I noticed the oil pressure was still at 40psi. :confused: Lifted the hood and found my new 3 bladed fan....... Only damage was a dent in the battery box and my headlight harness cut clean through. BOY WAS I LUCKY. I had to remove it and drive home without a fan but it never got over 170 on a 60deg day. I have an electric fan that is going on now because I really liked how quiet the engine is without that fan. Moral of this story is CHECK THAT 60 YEAR OLD FAN!!!! Could have cost me a radiator, hood or worse????????

post-6454-13585366327172_thumb.jpg

Over the years I've seen a lot of fans let go, sometimes just missing someone standing outside the engine compartment. That one was the really close, ever since then I make sure when reving the engine with the hood up I position my head away from the fan. Those blades can make a nasty hole in a hood to boot. Don't want to see anyone hurt.

:eek:;)

I've got several high horsepower electric motors in service for a data center I run my staff performs harmonic balancing on those to extend bearing life and to predict failure. We've found in our commisioning exercises that poor quality fans or pullies usually cause wobble due to lack of balance, which can lead to catastrophy. There's only a couple vendors that I will buy from.

While your replacing your fan blade you might do yourself a favor and check your water pump as well. It's possible that the bearing has been affected over time from a poorly balanced fan.

By the way, saw this on ebay this weekend... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-Dodge-plymouth-chrysler-Desoto-optional-6-blade-fan-Car-coupe-Truck-Sedan-/270906762248?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f134d2408

Here's your chance to be different... :D

I checked the bearings on the side of the road and they are still tight. The fan's crack was 3/4 rusty then a fresh break. Engine ran perfectly smooth until failure so I don't think it was a wobbler. There will be no mechanical fan going back on. Electric fan only.... So much quieter and safer.....

A few years ago, the local fairgrounds held a demolition derby, and one of the vehicles participating in the melee had it's mechanical fan let loose. A young boy in the stands got hit in the neck with a piece of the schrapnel and died from his injuries. They are definitely dangerous especially after years of use have taken their toll with metal fatigue.:(

Whoa! Deja Vu all over again! When I was a kid I was out on a toot one night and got lit up pretty good and while driving home the fan on my '53 Chev let go just like that. I was still aware enough that something bad happened, but out of it just enough to not care. There was no damage other than the fan itself.