Gas Cap

ggdad1951

My gas cap is pretty beat up/can't really be rechromed, I've been watching Epay and not much luck there...what shoudl I watch out for?

Venting, etc?

Are you sure its supposed to be chrome? My 46 and even dads 51 plymouth convertible came with body colored ones. My 48 does have a chrome/stainless one but I have no idea if its original.

i don t think they came chromed.

Mine is all shiney plated steel, so at least nickel plated. Biggest thing again is there anything I need to look for for venting on a "new" cap? I'm assuming the cap is a venting cap, or you'd collapse the tank?

Yeah, they should be vented, I'm not sure the tank would cave in, but I don't think the pump would do a whole lot of pumping. Every time my dad sees a non-vented cap on a car that should have one, he points it out and shakes his head :)

The original one that came with my car was body color as well, but it was pretty banged up so I bought a replacement chrome version from Roberts which worked just fine for a year. Recently I decomissioned that and installed a vintage locking cap like the one in the attached photos. I got it off Ebay, paid around $25 I recall. I really don't need a locking cap, but Greg G had one on his car when we met this summer and I like the way it looked.

post-7609-13585366224334_thumb.jpg

post-7609-13585366224553_thumb.jpg

post-7609-13585366224771_thumb.jpg

here are the filler caps from the '48 & the '49...they were painted black with a small vent hole in the middle, covered with a formed baffle that doubles as the mating lock onto the filler neck. From photos I've seen in Bunn's books, this cap looks to have been used from the late '30s to the early '60s.

large.smGAScaps.jpg.31990fd9aaccfef254f19d70602db10d.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised picture