Just drive it away.

Mark Haymond

I solved yesterday's electrical problem by using a five dollar relay to isolate my ignition circuit from the starting circuit. Now my P15 push button starter switch operates independently from my ignition switch with the car key, just like it did in 1947. So today I took a deep breath, turned the ignition key, and then pushed the starter switch with my left thumb. To my delight the engine started with a snort after barely a revolution. Wow, love that lovely straight pipes sound! The power steering pump was noisy, it needed more fluid and so I added fluid. No leaks anywhere so far. And the stock oil pressure gauge is working fine. With the front jacked up the power steering seemed to be working OK too.

I nervously set the transmission into drive to move it a few feet down the driveway. NOTHING. No drive, no reverse, nothing. I checked the automatic fluid level with the engine running in neutral. It was barely coloring the bottom of the dip stick. I added a quart. The level came up a little but I still had no movement mojo. OK, I'll solve that problem later. It's late and I have had enough garage hours today.

Just drive it away. Yeah, right.