Windshild Saftey Glass. Any made in USA?

James_Douglas

A couple of cars, one of mine and two of my friends needs new windshield glass. All 1940's MOPARS which all had original PPG glass in them

Our local PPG (Pittsburgh Plate Glass) dealer went bust and I wanted to find another.

So I called PPG HQ which told me they sold the glass division. It is now PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works & owned by a investment fund).

So, I called PGW to find another local distributor. In the process I asked which factory in the US was making their flat laminate safety glass. Turns out they stopped making it. If they need some for their distribution chain they get it from others overseas. But, they only order it if someone puts in a very big order and currently they don't have any in the pipeline.

So, my question is:

Does anyone know if there is anyone making flat plate laminate safety glass in the USA ?

Best, James

As far as actual glass shops who should have flat glass, regardless of

where it's made, do you have a Binswanger Glass shop in your area?

Our local store for that co. gave me a quote on flat glass windshield,

so they either have it in stock or can get with no problem.

I got new windshield halves at a local one-man glass shop for

$28 each. Clear glass. Look good. The new rubber gasket

cost notably more than the glass. I did have the old w/s for

a pattern.

"I got new windshield halves at a local one-man glass shop for

$28 each. Clear glass. Look good."

I just priced glass for my doors. $49.00 each, here in California!!!!

Question: Will cracked windshield glass pass inspection? My driver's side has some cracks in the bottom corner. I would like to keep the old glass if possible. The door glasses were both broken so I had no choice there.

Question: Will cracked windshield glass pass inspection? My driver's side has some cracks in the bottom corner. I would like to keep the old glass if possible. The door glasses were both broken so I had no choice there.

Check with your DMV

Don't know about Calif inspections.........but in MO they might probably

pass if the cracks are not in the line of sight.

We don't have inspections in MN but the rule is no cracks in the field of vision.

With so many Swedes and Norwegians you have no inspections???? My mother was a swede so I can speak, yet I'm impressed!!!:D

We had emissions testing for a few years but they cancelled that. No safely inspections of any sort. So your only real fear is getting pulled over and a cop noticing something unsafe.

From the California Motor Vehicle Code http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26710.htm

26710. It is unlawful to operate any motor vehicle upon a highway when the windshield or rear window is in such a defective condition as to impair the driver’s vision either to the front or rear.

Division 12 "Equipment of Vehicles" is an interesting read for people with older cars. Nice little tidbits in there like this

25450. Any motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, equipped with lighted acetylene headlamps complies with the provisions of this code concerning lighted headlamps when it has two lighted acetylene headlamps of approximately equal candlepower mounted upon the front of the motor vehicle and fitted with clear plane glass fronts and bright six-inch spherical mirrors and standard acetylene five-eighths or three-quarters foot burners, not more and not less, projecting sufficient light ahead to reveal any vehicle, person or substantial object upon the roadway within 200 feet.

You might want to spend a quiet hour or two reading up on what safety equipment is required by law.

Edited by TodFitch

Ed, I would guess your nice clean air probably has a lot to do with testing, etc.

I will check with DMV but these windows may pass. The driver's side has low corner cracks the passenger side is obvious. Going to get legal first, then pretty next. The rear window is perfect.

post-23-13585365878067_thumb.jpg

We had emissions testing for a few years but they cancelled that. No safely inspections of any sort. So your only real fear is getting pulled over and a cop noticing something unsafe.

Having been an intern in the Minnesota House of Representatives, and friendly with a former House Speaker, the reason for the repeal of emissions testing in Minnesota was the adoption of 10% ethanol in all pump gasoline.

There is an ethanol exemption for premium gasoline if the pump bears a sticker stating that the ethanol free gasoline can only be used in collector cars, motorcycles, and off-road vehicles (including boats). I have inadvertently pumped premium gas with out ethanol in to my '97 Neon while living in Minnesota. I guess as long as the sticker is on the pump, the criminal liability was mine and not the retailer for selling it to me.

I run E-85 in my Neon once/year, and have only had problems after running three tanks in a row. The oxygen sensor sends a fault and the check engine light comes on. Filled up with premium fuel, disconnected the battery to reset computer, and no problems. After living in five different states in my adult life, I must commend Minnesota as being the state with the least hassles in getting a vehicle licenced. After registering my Jeep over two months ago, my Kansas title finally arrived yester day in the mail.

Ed, I would guess your nice clean air probably has a lot to do with testing, etc.

I will check with DMV but these windows may pass. The driver's side has low corner cracks the passenger side is obvious. Going to get legal first, then pretty next. The rear window is perfect.

I don't know about California, but depending on the inspection station, you would not pass in Missouri.

Having been an intern in the Minnesota House of Representatives, and friendly with a former House Speaker, the reason for the repeal of emissions testing in Minnesota was the adoption of 10% ethanol in all pump gasoline.

There is an ethanol exemption for premium gasoline if the pump bears a sticker stating that the ethanol free gasoline can only be used in collector cars, motorcycles, and off-road vehicles (including boats). I have inadvertently pumped premium gas with out ethanol in to my '97 Neon while living in Minnesota. I guess as long as the sticker is on the pump, the criminal liability was mine and not the retailer for selling it to me.

I run E-85 in my Neon once/year, and have only had problems after running three tanks in a row. The oxygen sensor sends a fault and the check engine light comes on. Filled up with premium fuel, disconnected the battery to reset computer, and no problems. After living in five different states in my adult life, I must commend Minnesota as being the state with the least hassles in getting a vehicle licenced. After registering my Jeep over two months ago, my Kansas title finally arrived yester day in the mail.

Current wait for a MN title is 12 weeks unless you pay the $20 fee to speed it up. The last one I did I paid the $20 and had it in 3 days. We bought my wife a Mazda at the end of Oct and still haven't gotten the title for that one.

Edited by Young Ed

I had this come up at work a couple of months back so I have that reference. Since it is in 49 CFR the states have to meet these as a minimum. Enforcement is another story.

§ 393.60Glazing in specified openings.

(a) Glazing material. Glazing material used in windshields, windows, and doors on a motor vehicle manufactured on or after December 25, 1968, shall at a minimum meet the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 205 in effect on the date of manufacture of the motor vehicle. The glazing material shall be marked in accordance with FMVSS No. 205 (49 CFR 571.205, S6).

(B) Windshields required. Each bus, truck and truck-tractor shall be equipped with a windshield. Each windshield or portion of a multi-piece windshield shall be mounted using the full periphery of the glazing material.

© Windshield condition. With the exception of the conditions listed in paragraphs ©(1), ©(2), and ©(3) of this section, each windshield shall be free of discoloration or damage in the area extending upward from the height of the top of the steering wheel (excluding a 51 mm (2 inch) border at the top of the windshield) and extending from a 25 mm (1 inch) border at each side of the windshield or windshield panel. Exceptions:

(1) Coloring or tinting which meets the requirements of paragraph (d) of this section;

(2) Any crack that is not intersected by any other cracks;

(3) Any damaged area which can be covered by a disc 19 mm (3/4 inch) in diameter if not closer than 76 mm (3 inches) to any other similarly damaged area.

(d) Coloring or tinting of windshields and windows. Coloring or tinting of windshields and the windows to the immediate right and left of the driver is allowed, provided the parallel luminous transmittance through the colored or tinted glazing is not less than 70 percent of the light at normal incidence in those portions of the windshield or windows which are marked as having a parallel luminous transmittance of not less than 70 percent. The transmittance restriction does not apply to other windows on the commercial motor vehicle.

(e) Prohibition on obstructions to the driver's field of view—(1) Devices mounted at the top of the windshield. Antennas, transponders, and similar devices must not be mounted more than 152 mm (6 inches) below the upper edge of the windshield. These devices must be located outside the area swept by the windshield wipers, and outside the driver's sight lines to the road and highway signs and signals.

(2) Decals and stickers mounted on the windshield. Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) inspection decals, and stickers and/or decals required under Federal or State laws may be placed at the bottom or sides of the windshield provided such decals or stickers do not extend more than 115 mm (41/2 inches) from the bottom of the windshield and are located outside the area swept by the windshield wipers, and outside the driver's sight lines to the road and highway signs or signals.

Again enforcement varies widely and this is the minimum that the states are required to have. Only paragraph (a) has a grandfather clause for our older vehicles..

Full text can be accessed from here.

Why you would want to welll...

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=a282c3bb29862e61aef5537d73ce8992&rgn=div6&view=text&node=49:5.1.1.2.36.4&idno=49

Edited by Alshere59

Current wait for a MN title is 12 weeks unless you pay the $20 fee to speed it up. The last one I did I paid the $20 and had it in 3 days. We bought my wife a Mazda at the end of Oct and still haven't gotten the title for that one.

Minnesota is a rare state that has been one stop for vehicle registration.

Arkansas: visit your county courthouse, present title to get listed on property tax rolls, before leaving window verify that all information correct on form, take completed tax form to vehicle registration center with AR driver licence, insurance card, and title. Do not get up from table before verifying that all information correct and written in correct spaces.

Colorado: visit a new car dealer, show him your title, he verifies that VIN on car matches title. Take signed form from dealer, title, insurance form, and CO driver licence to your county courthouse to title car.

Kansas: visit Kansas Highway Patrol inspection center, present KS driver licence and current title, when highway patrolman refuses to issue release because engine number does not match serial number calmly explain that in the vehicle's 65 year history it has always been titled by the serial number and never the engine number while graciously acknowledging that KS and some other states did use the engine number as VIN, but your vehicle has never been titled in KS or any of those other states, wait while highway patrol runs criminal reports to verify that the engine number currently in car is not listed as stolen, take completed release form to your county courthouse with KS driver licence, insurance card, and title.

Missouri: inspect vehicle from top to bottom, fix all that may be wrong, take car to vehicle inspection station, get list of things mechanic wants fixed, take car to an other mechanic with list from other mechanic, take list and car back to inspection station, receive release form, go to your county courthouse to get vehicle placed on property tax rolls, take inspection release, tax release, insurance card, title, and MO driver licence to your licence bureau. Repeat process every year for each vehicle.

Minnesota: bring title, insurance card, and MN driver licence to any licence bureau in State of Minnesota.

No vehicle inspection, no emissions testing, no property tax registration, and every year when registration fee due one conveniently receives a polite letter with completed typed form with registration fee clearly visible, and return envelope. Insert checque and pre-filled form into envelope provided, place stamp on envelope, place in mailbox, and tabs arrive in mail.

There is a glass factory just south of here; I will see if they make flat laminated windshield glass. I had a local glass shop cut my 2 windshield pieces from a big sheet. i hjave no idea where the glass was made, though.