Why Did You Get The Car(s) You Have?

JerseyHarold

The two 48 Plymouth's that I have are from my young years when I learned how to drive the one my father had when I was only nine years old on and around the dairy that we had at that time. When my father decided to sell it after having it for around 10 years I was pissed so I made my mind up I was going to own one or two when I left home and got married. These two cars bring back a lot of memeries of my young days

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/attachment.php?

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/attachment.php?

post-7392-13585365857331_thumb.jpg

post-7392-13585365857463_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My first Mopar was a 54 Dodge 4-dr sedan (Hemi) bought from my barber for $75. Second was a 55 Plymouth wagon 6cyl / 3-spd that ran well but had been "T-Boned", bought for $15. Third was a 63 Fury Wagon, Red on, Red on, Red. Fourth was 77 Volare' Wagon 318 / 4-spd, only new car I've ever bought. Paid $5000 brand new. Fifth was a 76 Aspen wagon. Bought from a friend who was told that the engine was "Blown" for $300. Turned out to be a bad distributor cap and a short in the ballast resistor.

(fast forward about 25 years)

This October I began to miss having a Mopar wagon, so i bought one from a guy on the HAMB. It's a 1952 Plymouth wagon. I hired him to repair the brakes for me before shipping.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619753&highlight=wagon

I haven't been "Brand Loyal". I love em all. I have owned many Chevys, Buicks, Fords, an Edsel, an Oldsmobile and a Studebaker.:eek:

Edited by jeff0547

kept the local Chrysler/Plymouth dealer in business. Dad had a '65 Belvedere that was our family car (and only car) that he'd take to the local strips, throw some slicks on it, and race it on weekends. The late Shirl Greer even helped him tune that car. It was a very stout 383/4 spd. Between Dad and Richard Petty, I was hooked on Plymouths, even though I was under 10 yrs old.

Then, when I was a teenager, Dad got into Street Rods. He was building a Model-A, but wound up seling it. Then he had a '47 Chevy.

The first car I owned was a '72 Challenger 340 Ralleye. I traded a little construction work when my aunt was finishing her basement for the car, in 1983. She'd bought it new. It was in really good condition. It was her daily driver for 10 years. Don't let anybody tell you all E-bodies rust. Although it was properly maintained, it didn't see a garage until about a year before I bought it. It was always parked outdoors.

Then, five or six years ago, I got to wanting another hotrod. I wanted another Challenger, but a decent one was out of my range. So, I found a good deal on a '63 Dart, bought a welder, new quarters and floors, changed it to a 360/904 combo with an 8" rear out of a Maverick.

I wound up seeling the Dart a couple of years ago because I wanted a Street Rod. I looked around for a project, and almost bought a '47 Dodge pickup and then a '29 Model-A Tudor. Both were extensive projects. I was cruising Craigslist and found my '49 P15 at a new car dealer in Charlotte. Somebody had traded it on a new Jeep Liberty. I drove down, bought it, and drove it around the rest of the year with the original drivetrain, then started modifying it after the summer was over.

..Not my first motor vehicle...I had a couple of motorcycles-first an Indian,then a BSA.... Then I got wind of there were things happening at the Drive-In Theatre that required a cage.....My first.. "Mopar" was a 1948 Dodge coupe...I now own a 1948 Dodge D25 coupe,(I've owned it now for a number of years ), and I'm quite happy with it...The one I owned in my earlier years was somewhat modified.a little more flashy and a little bit faster ..

but then so was I.. ;)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

When I moved to Iowa twelve years ago, there was a vintage black limosine looking four door sedan parked outside an old house in a small town near me. I was very impressed with the car and thought it was maybe a Cadillac. I remember thinking that it would be cool to own a car like that.

Year after year, season after seaon the car just sat. Finally about three years ago I went over to the car and looked it over. I found out it was a Desoto. I got on the internet and looked up more on that make and model and discovered it was a 1947 Custom.

The car was in very good condition but I thought it was a crime to let the chrome sit out in the snow and rain and humidity to deteriorate. Nobody answered at the house where it was parked so I asked the neighbor and tracked down the owner of the car. He owned a tire and auto repair in town.

One day the car was gone, and I went over to his shop - which was closed - and peeked into the door window of one of the stalls. I saw the snoot of the Desoto staring back at me.

He was willing to part with it, and we came to terms. He fired it up and the engine sounded great. The brakes were shot, however, and so he allowed me to work on the car in his shop. It sat there for the past three years until a few weeks ago when we moved it to my house.

I've done quite a bit of work on "Carlo" but the brakes still need to be finished before I can get him on the road for testing.

My parents watched classic movies when I was growing up all the time. Seeing the design and uniqueness of the cars that the actors/actresses drove and looking at the cars that existed at the time I was growing up made me want to have a piece of that. Being in high school and getting my license I started looking at cars to buy, the first was a ford fairlane 500 that I had seen in a lot for 4800. I begged my parents at the time to help me get it, saying I would work whatever needed doing, I could get a part time job and make payments to them, etc. But we never had a lot of money growing up and it was impossible for them to do that. Then I found a mercury monterey (58?) and loved that design, reminded me of an official politician car, I could imagine the little flags on the hood. Then the desire for them kind of went away as I graduated, went to college, and became busy with life.

Then my senior year (2011) I found a 1940 dodge deluxe for sale in my neighboring town for 1500. Seeing that it was in decent condition for the price, I offered to trade him my toyota pickup that I had at the time straight up. He politely refused saying he didn't want to have to go through selling another car to eventually get his money and I agreed to that. Fast forward 3 weeks and I had sold the pickup for 1700 and decided I wanted to stop by and look at the car myself (it was still for sale). He agreed and when I came out to look at it was surprised that the floorboards were completely rusted out and there were multiple areas where the rust had eaten through the body completely. In his ad he had said there was minor rust in some places. So I leveled with him that I would give him 900 for it.

He said he'd have to think about it and 2 weeks later he accepted and I brought it home! Still haven't done any work yet but several friends have communicated that they would like to help me on it.

sxiRMl.jpgIQdN2l.jpg

Edited by 1940_dodge

My father's first cars I can remember from the early 50's were a 41 Chrysler and a 49 New Yorker which led to my lifetime attachment to MOPARS even though most of my friends and family like Fords. :( My first introduction to driving was when I was about 10 and Dad was a little inebriated. He put me behind the wheel of the big black New Yorker 4 door in front of the garage to teach me to drive. He shifted the fluid drive into 2nd gear (he thought) and told me to step on the gas. I did - the car was in reverse and whacked the corner of the garage. As you might expect that big tank which was near the end of it's life had barely a scratch and I ran to my room sobbing.

post-578-13585365864836_thumb.jpg

I might be the exception here. The '37 wasn't my first choice. I've always likes hot rods/customs. I found a nice '50 chevy - chopped, lowered, nosed, decked, shaved, tri-power, 4 speed, rolls and pleates, etc. Was in negotiations with the owner, when the city decided they were going to replace sidewalks (at our expence) and I live on a corner. So I had to look for something cheaper. Found someone on Hot Rod Hot line that had a '40 Chevy coupe and a '37 Plymouth (both for the same price). Contacted him and found out both were sold. he called a few days later, and said the deal on the Plymouth fell through and it was available. Talked back and forth and he lowered the price by $900. SOLD!. He even delivered it for free from Wisconson. His brother was coming this way to pick up a car about 40 miles north of me. Trailer was empty coming this way, so they put the car on it. Only saw 1 pic of it before I saw it in person when they dropped it off. Had visions of a resto-rod, but that changed (wife wouldn't let me).

5-24-096.jpg

8-6-0619.jpg

'50 Plymouth Coupe. Saw it on Craigs List. The devil must have been sitting on my shoulder, as it called to me. I was looking for '65 Mustang with a V-8 and 4-spd at the time. Anyway, I went and looked and it sucked me in. Now it's in a million pieces in my shop. It still calls to me: "Money, spend more money!" Lately I've turned a deaf ear. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to hold out.

This one is in Clawson, Mi.

On Main, a couple blocks south of 14 Mile, right? It was a tad out of my way, but was(is) highly recommended. Was in the area for work one day and stopped in for lunch. I liked it enough to return a few times off-duty with the family.

I've had a collection of old motorcycles, my fiance at the time was very tolerant of the mess of parts in the driveway and basement. One day she told me that since I have all these bikes and other things, she wanted something... an old car. I tucked that away in the back of my mind. We got married in 2009, so I was looking for one to get her as a wedding present. Found the '49 and it ran, so I bought it and stashed it at my buddies house until I got it drivable without her knowing. I sold one of my motorcycles to finance it and she never noticed the bike was gone. She loves the car, but still hasn't driven it. Says it needs seatbelts first. I'm working on it.

On Main, a couple blocks south of 14 Mile, right? It was a tad out of my way, but was(is) highly recommended. Was in the area for work one day and stopped in for lunch. I liked it enough to return a few times off-duty with the family.

You are correct, sir. When I saw your location as NY, I thought you might have meant a different Grumpy's. I live about 5 miles from there, but usually go there atleast once a week. Drive right past the A&W across the street. They have a couple of pics of my car posted near the cash register. Real nice people run own/run it. Just before Christmas, my wife and I ate there and they paid our bill.

• 9 years later...

Well, let's see.  I have a 65 Barracuda and a 51 Cambridge.

I got the Cuda because I had a 72 Dart that I bent doing a few too many Duke boys antics.  So I bought the Cuda to transfer all the hot rod parts over.  I've had the Cuda for about 25 years now. 

Got the Cambridge because I never had a 50's Mopar before and had the itch.  Saw it on Facebook, looked interesting, drove 6+ hours to go look at it.  Decided to buy it so a bout a month later I drove back up with the cash in hand and a trailer.  Brought it home.  

Over the years I've had a 38 P8, a 40 Royal, a 63 Belvedere wagon, a 64 300, a 72 Dart, a 73 Challenger, a 74 Dart, a 79 Cordoba, an 86 Daytona, an 87 Diplomat, a 96 Neon, an 05 Neon, an 05 Ram.   Plus a few off brands.  Some were back of the skiffy used car lot beater specials, some were brand new, some were decent used.  One or two would have been cheaper to have paid to be towed to the junkyard.  One of the off brands I had the habit of doing a 360 walk around on because something falling off of it wasn't unknown, nor did it have one liquid it didn't leak at one time or another.

I learned long ago that doing the job properly was better than having to redo the wrong way, even if I had to save up to do it right.  I learned junkyard radiators aren't cheaper than a new one, especially when you get stranded in downtown Gary, In at midnight because your junk crapped out at the worst possible place imaginable.  I learned that glopping on a bunch of RTV to fix a leaky water outlet was not cheaper than buying a new water outlet.

Wore out some shoes walking because of car lessons I learned the hard way.  

So when I see a hack displaying hackery as if it were something to be emulated, yeah I don't have a problem pointing out it's a hack and I know the consequences of that kind of work.

Edited by Sniper
  • Thanks 1

I can't agree more Sniper! Do it once do it right despite the odd curve ball ( and those occur randomly, sometimes like torpedoes). Working on these old diamonds in the rough is a true game of patience. Sorta like getting a taxidermy exam and the only question is "stuff this moose"! Diligence pays off.

• Like 2

Always been a car guy. I had a 340 Duster, a 340 Cuda, a 440 Road Runner, a Satellite, a turbo Daytona and probably at least 25 "normal" cars over the years. After my Mom died I was looking for something to keep Dad active. He was a car guy too. We decided to buy a 50 Ford pickup to "fix up". When that fell thru he told me about a 41 Dodge Cpe that was really bad, but he thought we could fix it up. I had no idea what I was going to look at. I was picturing more of a 32 Ford than what it actually is. The look on Dad's face as we looked at it sold me on it. This is a back yard garage build. The goal was to make it run, then make it stop, then make it presentable. We did that, I am proud of that. That was 30 years ago and I am still tinkering with it. Been driving it for 29 of those years. Took a year of solid commitment to get it roadworthy. I have enjoyed it, cursed it, threatened to sell it, rod it or crush it. But mostly I've cherished it for the memories it has given me. It isn't worth anything, it isn't a show car, it is a driver, a 20 footer and perfect. For me anyway. This is a great hobby, there is room for everyone, even hacks like me. Thanks for listening and Happy motoring!

• Like 1

When I was 17 I bought a mid-70's green Dodge Dart. The engine was a Slant 6 225 if I recall. That was the first time I hoisted out an engine. My brother and I rebuilt it.  We tore it down and did send it out for machining. I bought an exchange crank.  We re-assembled the 225 in dad's 10x10 shed with no heat or electricity. Just an extension cord and a trouble-light. We did the best we knew how as teenagers. We had no mentor at home who knew mechanics.

After the assembled engine was installed back in the car,  I learned the tranny would not line up no-how. We had the wrong crank for the 727 tranny. So we took the torque out and had it worked to fit the crank that we had.

Later in life I wanted an old car. Another green Mopar found its way to me. My green 1953 Chrysler. Why? It was a good looking car that was relatively cheap compared to other 50's cars. It was not a common, 5-6-7 Chevy, nor a Mustang, Camaro, or Corvette. It seems that there must be 50 of each at every car show that has 300 cars! So I liked the idea of having something different.

4 year later I see a derelict 1938 Plymouth on its last legs. I couldn't avoid it. After 3 weeks of not contacting  the seller, I relented. Then the car was trailer'd home.

Why? It was low priced. Good looking. It was unique. Again another green car as fate would have it. I just keep pouring time and some money at it. Enjoying the heck out of owing and driving it.

So in summary: Why Did You Get The Cars You Have?

1. Good Looking

2. Unique among all the other cars out there

3. Low priced, great value.

4. Easy and fun to work on and drive 

I could add that now that I have owned a couple of old flathead Mopars, I have learned a few things that make me glad I choose them.

1. Well Engineered cars

2. Their flathead engines take a ton of abuse and run

3. This forum is a fun place to hang out (mostly)

4. Interchangeability of parts across many years

5. Parts availability is pretty decent

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

Just sort of came my way. In 1979 I went to an auction with a buddy who was looking for a vintage truck. The auction was for Mrs. Blackwell. The widow of a fella who had owned a small town Chrysler dealership in Hopewell, NJ.  Along with a lot of other stuff, his service truck was up for auction. A 1939 Plymouth pickup. This truck was in rough condition, but being young and dumb, my friend bid for it with my stupid advice that we could fix it up. Long story short; was fun for a while hanging out and trying to restore the beast, but after several years of trying, my friend had enough, and gave up on it. Me being a stubborn sort and not wanting to give up, I bought it from him. I've pecked away at it over the decades and am still working on it. Lots of grief and spent way too much money and time. I did learn a lot by doing things three times over. Have come to appreciate the engineering of these old machines and it gives me something to occupy my free time now. I don't think our vehicles are every really finished. I should probably have sold it a long time ago, but still too stubborn to give up. It's a love / hate relationship. I'll keep till I croak. Lols!

DSCN2425.JPG

• Like 2

I stopped at the local Harley dealership to see a friend and ended up trading a Sportster for the '47 in my profile pic. I wouldn't call it a great trade but I don't like Sportsters. IMO they're uncomfortable to ride and hard to sell. I've bought 3 more Chrysler products since then, all in the project/parts/future scrap-iron stage. I like their looks but have zero automobile brand loyalty and no emotional attachment to any of them.