54 Belvedere makes it to the shop!

54Illinois

Out of my garage, and into the heated shop! The parts car has been parted out, doors, fenders, trim, rear sheet metal all will be used to transform this blue bruise into a blue bomb.

P25 motor acquired from Craigslist is being prepped and painted to be installed. Old motor will have new pistons, cleaned up and put back together, used as as a spare.

One year project has turned into about two...

post-8191-13585365658894_thumb.jpg

post-8191-13585365659704_thumb.jpg

Good deal, may you be able to get plenty of shop time this year..these projects spread out over a great amount of time especially if you are a homowner, raing kids and still working full time...your car looks real clean from the get go..

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/album.php?albumid=2&page=2

The '53 and '54 Plymouths are often overlooked or looked down on, especially by non-mopar owners, but they are great cars. I have an original, including paint, '53 Belvedere 4-door and love it! There are actually quite a few '53-'54 owners on the forum. Good luck with the project! Please keep posting pictures as you make progress because we all love seeing them.

1953Plymouth.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

Tonight I dropped the fuel tank and poured out about 4 gallons of the foulest spelling gas ever! I then put my Ridgid Seesnake camera in the tank and saw a lot of what looked like red barnacles all over the inside. I could see the fuel float, looked yellow.

A couple of questions...

1. I saw archived posts of lacquer thinner being used to wash out the tank, good idea?

2. Also read about blowing the fuel filter from the tank, then installing one upstream.

Your thoughts on these procedures, please.

Also, ordering an exhaust system, seems from posts this guy does the job?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350519926489?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Put a handfull of ball bearings or marbles in the tank. Put it in your car truck for a week, then turn it over and drive another week. The take your camera and take a second look. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Any time you mess with old fuel tanks you run the risk of knocking crud loose. If the inside is not sparkly clean then a better fuel filter is mandatory and a spin-on makes like tolerable.

Check this ebay filter. Item number: 370554930913

54, the exhaust you ordered is from kepich in NC. i just bought one from them for my 54 windsor. good quality and fit. i do not know if they told you but the tail pipe will be cut into two pieces for shipping. my system i had him cut that pipe even though i picked it up at the shop because i had to cut the old one in two to get it out of the car. if you are using a lift the rear may drop enough to put it in in one piece. they will cut it just as it goes over the diff and you will not see it once the car is on the ground. if you already have the shocks out this may not be an issue. capt den

54, the exhaust you ordered is from kepich in NC. i just bought one from them for my 54 windsor. good quality and fit. i do not know if they told you but the tail pipe will be cut into two pieces for shipping. my system i had him cut that pipe even though i picked it up at the shop because i had to cut the old one in two to get it out of the car. if you are using a lift the rear may drop enough to put it in in one piece. they will cut it just as it goes over the diff and you will not see it once the car is on the ground. if you already have the shocks out this may not be an issue. capt den

The quality does look good. They were cut into the pieces as you say.

I was planning on adding another fuel filter for the gas tank. There is still some surface rust inside.

• 3 weeks later...

These appear on ebay quite often and you can pick up a decent set of used ones for a lot less than rechroming. I believe Joe Flanagan picked up nearly all his chrome work for his car, including bumpers, that way for a reasonable price.

• 1 month later...

The replacement motor is running, sounds like a sewing machine. The oil pressure gauge in the car registers 80. Car runs real smooth, shifts well but does leak tranny fluid.

Judging from the old forum posts, YouTube videos and a couple of my dad's stories I will let the motor tick, and keep sounding like a sewing machine.

Brakes in the front blew out the other day, leaving fluid all over the floor of the shop.

The brake lights are goofed, push the pedal, they go off, let it up they come on...