Hub Cap keeps popping off on LARGE LA Potholes

fedoragent

Folks,

I know I've been away for awhile, so forgive me. That little thing called life has kept me away from my beloved car and this wonderful site. My old girl is running like a top, with no problems whatsoever. The steering is dialed in perfectly, the alignment...well hell is going to get as good as it is going to get. I was in Hollywood yesterday, went around a curve (and this happens once a year to the same damn front passenger side wheel) and hit a pot hole. WHAMMO, what should I see out the corner of my eye? A chrome rolling speck and the familiar sound of a hubcap rolling away. I quickly pulled over, looked for and found the hubcap. Then I was off on my merry way. I notice when I put the hubcap on, it seems somewhat loose. But it ONLY comes off when a HUGE pothole or woggle in the road is hit HARD. Any advice as far as fastening this hubcap on? Yes, I have all my clips. I'm hoping someone has found an adhesive to also help secure the hubcap in place, but yet an adhesive that doesn't damage both wheel and hubcap...and is easy to take off in a need. Any thoughts that you might have would be appreciated.

OH, AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Jon

I had full hubcaps from a later model Chrysler on my 47 when I bought it. Any time I made a hard left turn the right hubcap would come off and go rolling down the street. I replaced stock wheels with newer wheels. I later read about the stress and flexing that radial tires put on stock 4" wide wheels.

You should be able to adjust the clips a bit for a tighter fit. Then make sure there is no crud on the caps where they contact the clips.

Like he said! Caps need a good rap to make them fit on tightly. If they go on too easily they will pop off the same way.

I dont need no stinkin hub caps. I just dodge the law with my nuts exposed:D

MVC-001F-2.jpg

That ruined my New years!:eek:

Folks,

I PROUDLY drive a Plymouth, not a Dodge. However, I would REALLY like one but don't have the storage space. I am going to bend the clips and put a VERY thin bead of silicone on it. And yes, there are potholes next to potholes and crappy roads in LA.

Oh, and if any of you are in LA...my car can finally drive the freeway and long distances. I think the limit would be Long Beach though. I have no wishes to die on the 710 or 405.

Thanks guys!

Jon

I lost a couple of the small dog dish hubcaps on the road . I read on a hub cap site to use clear silicone adhesive ( as mentioned ) and wipe or trim off the excess . I don't think that you need to glue it all of the way around though and tight clips too of course .

In the past, I would take a screwdriver and go around the cap, prying

gently out the entire big part of the clip. Then go around a second time

and pry open more the small little clip part on the very end of the big clip.

And after doing those things you need to try it on the wheel to check how

it fits. May need more spreading (or possibly less if impossible to mount).

Nothing is foolproof where a big jolt to the wheel is involved. Never tried

the silicone thing, but it soulds pretty logical.

What kind of caps are you running, and do they have pretty good

clearance over the center portion of the wheel? Good to hear from

you again.

Folks,

I PROUDLY drive a Plymouth, not a Dodge. However, I would REALLY like one but don't have the storage space. I am going to bend the clips and put a VERY thin bead of silicone on it. And yes, there are potholes next to potholes and crappy roads in LA.

Oh, and if any of you are in LA...my car can finally drive the freeway and long distances. I think the limit would be Long Beach though. I have no wishes to die on the 710 or 405.

Thanks guys!

Jon

Your profile picture shows you car with full moon hubcaps. With full moon hubcaps the clips do not come into play. What hubcaps are you using?

Don, there are two kinds of full moon caps......one attaches with small

screws, but the other type has clips just like any wheel cover (I have

some of those). So, you Can throw a moon.:D

Bob;

I thought the original poster was talking about the clips on the wheel not the clips on the hubcap. I do not know of any full wheel hubcap that uses the clips on the wheel. Do you?

That picture is very very old. Here is a new picture from a couple of months ago when it was parked outside of the barber shop in Hollywood.

315431_2236787353482_1061922555_2606567_1063650429_n.jpg

And one in front of my house.

ForP15.jpg

I no longer have those full moons. :) I am using the traditional 16 inch wheels with bias ply tires and dog dish hub caps.

74334_1605114402053_1061922555_1715072_5632973_n.jpg

Jon

Edited by fedoragent

Gents,

Pardon the stupid question, but what type of silicone and is it the same that you get at the hardware store? Also, do you have to have a special caulking type gun for that? And does it have to be hot/warmed up like hot glue?

Thanks,

Jon