55 Desoto questions

austinsailor

As I mentioned in another post, I am probably going to look at a 55 Desoto with an overdriive, a parts car for sure.

I'm wondering what parts will interchange with what. I do know the Desoto hemi is a different motor than the Dodge or Chrysler hemis. How about bell housings and transmissions? Is the transmission interchangeable like the earlier cars? What will bolt to the motor, any of the bell housings or just the ones from a Desoto? I do know that the Desoto hemi is the least desirable of the 3 due to the lack of parts.

It has an air conditioner, aftermarket of the era, if I understand correctly. Assuming it's not all trash, is there any value to a '50's air unit?

Being a 4 door, there is probably not a lot of value in much of the sheet metal. I'm trying to get a feel of what I might be able to salvage and come out ok if I drag it home.

Any thoughts?

buying it as a parts car then the vlaue is that of the parts you intend to harvest and use elsewhere..hard to put a price on retail of used items..supply and demand..the Hemi..tranny with OD would make it worth your time IF YOU have an intended use..engine is a 290 CI with approx 200 HP at 4400 RPM..if a fireflite model (S21) ..esle it is 185 HP at 4400..differnece of 29 ft lb torque (S22)