King pin removal

pflaming

• 2 years later...
On 12/28/2011 at 9:25 PM, pflaming said:

I removed the front back plates and spindles today. When I went to drive out the king pins, the metal moved about 1/8" then was SOLID. So I went to search and found these, but had to read alot to find so I will relate them so the next novice finds them sooner.

(1) there is a grease cap above and below the king pin. Those removed and the pins drove out. I used a 9/16' socket to drive. Take out the top one and the king pin can drive out the bottom one. Drill a hole in the top one, then insert a small punch in the hole and out it comes.

(2) next time I would remove the tie rod ends before I removed the steering arms, to the experienced this may seem obvious but I'm just learning.

(3) lots of old grease, under it were cotter pins, and 'lock washers' (metal pieces which had bent up tabs to lock the nuts (news to me)

(4) There is a roller bearing spacer on the king pin that the axle frame rests on so that the spindle turns on this bearing not on the bushings in the axle frame. Nice.

Will take the spindles and steering arms to a shop and have them drilled tapped and bushings pressed in. Now I need new tie rod ends. MORE $$$$$$$. OPS !!!!

Wonder what I'll learn tomorrow?

Hey man, THANK YOU! I'm out with my 67 d200 that, after kingpins went from bad to FUBAR following a few days when I clocked a few hundred miles often at relatively high speeds, I forced myself to ground until the front axle and it's mating bushings are completed. It's been several days and, as I proceed with my factory service manual, along with hopefully some common sense, I would search for how to remove the upper cap over the kingpin. I had finally decided that drilling through the top with the least possibly problematic way to go; stumbling upon your post has just boosting my confidence and gave me enough pet to probably put another hour in before dragging my ass to bed!